Battery Charger - DS2714 - Current Source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred.Amoson

Hello,

I am wanting to make a super safe, nimh/nicd smart battery charger. After looking around, I've decided to use the DS2714 chip for my design. If you have any other chip suggestions, please let me know.

**broken link removed**

I think I pretty much have the schematic of how to get the DS2714 working, except for the current source. I found no information on the current source in the data sheet, except "current source". Does anyone know what current rating my current source should be? Also, I will be using a regulated 5V to power this charger, how can I turn that into a current source?

Thanks!

hi Fred,
Have you checked Maxims application notes?

**broken link removed**

Whats the voltage/AHr capacity you want to charge?

You can configure a 7805 or LM317 as a current source.

Last edited:
The current source in the datasheet is 2A. it charges each of 4 cells for 1/2 a second each 2 seconds, minus a small amout of time where each cell is tested.

hi,
as 'agu' points out a 2Amp current source is required for the 4 cell charger in the application data.

A 7805/L317 isnt upto the job, you require a similair regulator but with a minimum continous current of say 3amps.

Extract from data sheet.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information guys! I didn't see that 2A in the datasheet anywhere, I must have been blind.

Unfortunately, my source power has a maximum current of 500mA. Would that work with this chip (just take 4x as long) or do I need a totally new chip? Any recommendations?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
The IC is a fast charger for individual Ni-MH cells. It times out after a max of 10 hours. 2500mAh AA cells need 20 hours or more at 500mA/4.

How many cells do you need to charge?

If it's just one then you could use a switching regulator for your current source and get 1A@2V from 500mA from 5V@500mA which would cut your charging time in half.

You really need a much higher current power supply, I'd recommend a PC power supply which can supply a lot of current and is quite cheap to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…