Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery charger with voltage cutoff and current cut off

Status
Not open for further replies.

maicael

Pls I need a very very good battery charger capable of charging 12v lead acid batteries used in inverters with the ability to cut off voltage and or current when the battery is fully charged.The charger should be capable of charging say more than two batteries at a time if possible by being able to select charging current based on the number of batteries being charged at the moment.
There are so many chargers but am confused as I read that some are not good enough as they spoil the battery due to the charging technique or something like that.i want something that will charge very well and enhance the lifespan of the battery which is why I need experts who know more than i to recommend.Thanks

Sealed Lead Acid or Flooded Cells? AH capacity? If possible, post the data sheet for the batteries you intend to use...
What is your ambient temperature range?
How rapidly do you wish to recharge them?
Will there be a load on the batteries while they are being charged?
How long will they sit after recharge before next use?

All of this makes a difference.

sealed lead acid ,100-200AH capacity,
when you say rapidly it should charge normally so that the battery wont get spoiled as i heard that fast charging spoils the battery(you can recommend how rapidly for me if possible based on experience)
yes sometimes there will be load on the inverter when charging them
after recharge they will be used on a daily basis but could stay almost say 6 hours before next use depending on when mains is present.

sealed lead acid ,100-200AH capacity,
when you say rapidly it should charge normally so that the battery wont get spoiled as i heard that fast charging spoils the battery(you can recommend how rapidly for me if possible based on experience)
you can download data sheets for common SLA battery sizes. Look at this from the PowerSonic PS-121000 data sheet:

Charge.jpg

Depending on state of discharge, note that you will be hard pressed to recharge the battery bank in less than ~18hours.
yes sometimes there will be load on the inverter when charging them
What will the load current during charging be? The charger will suimultaneously have to supply the load current AND the charging current.
after recharge they will be used on a daily basis but could stay almost say 6 hours before next use depending on when mains is present.
You will likely not need phase 3 of the charging algorithm, then

Final note: At the power level and complexity you are asking about, I would be looking for a ready-made charging system to purchase. Look at Powerstream for a switch-mode 30A to 45A charger.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back