Battery Eliminator Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixnum

Dear Friends,

I have a problem regarding battery eliminator at output stage. When I connect my audio amp with it, the voltage is getting zero at input stage of voltage of amp and there is no sound. All though audio amp is working good with other eliminator. But when I check the output voltage of eliminator it shows me right voltage like 8v. As I am giving you my component details as follows:

Transformer = 12-0-12 Step Down Centre Tap
Diode = IN 4007 (2 pieces for bridge)
Capacitor = 4700uf 50v (1 piece)
Resistance = 100K/3W POT(1 piece)
Max Voltage = 17v

Now do you solve my problem if you can !

Thank you !

What's the 100K pot for?.

You also need four diodes for a bridge, you have two which could make a fullwave rectifier in conjunction with your centre tapped transformer.

I assume you are trying to use the 100k pot in place of an actual voltage regulator? Not only would that do an extremely poor job of regulating the voltage, you also end up with a very high-impedance source which is probably a terrible choice for powering an amplifier.

Thank you Nigel Goodwin & Evandue !

100K POT means Potentiometer !
Please tell me how to reduce high impedence source !
With this eliminator I want to run mp3 player, FM Receiver.etc. Actually I don't want to use actual voltage regulator instead I like to use 100k pot in this regard.

Please give me some light in this regard !

We know what it means, but it's completely useless for what you want.

You NEED a regulator!.

Adjust the resistance of the pot to half so it is 50k ohms. Then the max load current when its output voltage is 8V is only (17V-8V)/50k= 0.18mA. Nearly nothing.

pixnum said:
Please tell me how to reduce high impedence source !
With this eliminator I want to run mp3 player, FM Receiver.etc. Actually I don't want to use actual voltage regulator instead I like to use 100k pot in this regard.

If you want variable voltage output adjustable by a potentiometer, use a variable regulator like the LM317. If you keep using a pot by itself then you can expect it to keep not working.

I am forced to agree . If you use a pot for your application, it will turn into smoke before you can blink an eye. LM317 is surely one option, but I hear that it would also be possible to build a switching regulator with an adjustable voltage output. Perhaps someone knows more about that?

You could reduce the impedance by using several potentiometers in parallel. A stereo potentiometer would reduce the impedance by half, but it would still be useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…