Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery operated pilot lighter for grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

flow T narg

This is a nice projects for a kids small pool, the overall unit automatically pumps water through a metallic radiator, which easily sets on the gas grill. heating a small pool on only one $8 cylinder of propane. (solar is another idea)

Any one have a plan for a solid-state circuit that can generate a spark for lighting a gas grill / pool heater? The gap is about 4 mm wide and should produce 15-20 kv. I have a 6 volt battery for operations.

**broken link removed**
The remainder of the circuit will sense the thermostat, will open the gas valve , run a timer complete the above spark gap circuit for a few seconds. when temperature is met: shut gas off when temp is reached and circulating pump off after 5 min .

Last edited:
Why not try a piezo ignotion, no batteries required!

ahhhhh how do i interface that with a micro controller? I think it would be more difficult than generating a stolid state schematic of a igniter. Don't ya think?

Apply a short pulse to a small step up transformer.

Here are some suggestions:
  • TV flyback.
  • Ignition coil driver,some small motorcycle coils are even rated for 6V.
  • Use a small 230V to 6V mains transformer in reverse.

Hero999 said:
Apply a short pulse to a small step up transformer.

Here are some suggestions:
  • TV flyback.
  • Ignition coil driver,some small motorcycle coils are even rated for 6V.
  • Use a small 230V to 6V mains transformer in reverse.

Or the age old 1K/8:eek:hm: audio transformer for 600V instead of 230. Using it like flyback can usually quadruple the voltage without a problem or a diode capacitor multiplier.

D.

A 230V mains transformer will give up to 4kV when the input is pulsed, 100V is generated on the primary when the current is inturrupted then is multiplied by the turns ratio 1:40 to give 4kV.

What's the turns ratio on the audio transformer?

I'm not sure about this but isn't isn't it 1000/8² = 1:15.625, I'm sure audioguru will correct me if I'm wrong.

While I have to admire your efforts I am concerned that you may have a very dangerous arrangement. There are significant risks on the combustion side - late ignition of accumulated gas being one. The radiator has the potential to become a source of steam - possibly resulting in an explosion. Corrosion may be an issue as well - products of combustion may condense resulting in extremely corrosive compounds being formed.

Take a look at the way the igniter on a gas drier works. They are very safe. In fact you should be able to get a used one from an appliance repair/salvage place. That would work far better than the gas grill you propose.
When I lived in Asia, demand water heaters were the order of the day. All they are is a coil and a burner. When you turn on the hot water, they kick in and deliver. There is no tank, or ballast.Perhaps something like that, could be home built?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back