Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Beginner question: how are these typically soldered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack.Straw

Hi. I purchased some male 1/8" phone plugs and 5 x 2.1 mm male power plugs. They showed up looking like something that's meant to be used with mating pieces rather than soldered to, even though the "connection type" on mouser was listed as "solder." These both seem less than ideal for soldering. Am i missing something? I managed to solder a stereo headphone jack, but why is it like this? I ended up using hot glue to keep the solder connections and wires strong.

On the power plug, am i meant to solder to the loop for the center, and then just solder directly to the outside casing for the negative?? That doesn't seem right, but i'm not seeing another connector to solder to.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
The best that I can suggest is that you just suck it up and buy the correct ones.
Maybe not the most helpful comment, but it is the best that I can do.

JimB

Are these incorrect? I mean, they aren't what i'm used to, but they are the most popular type on mouser so it stands to reason that people use them. How? I'm genuinely curious how these things are meant to be used.

Got Mouser part number for them? Just looked up a 5 x 2.1 mm DC power plug and this is what I see. Are you sure they didn't send you the wrong parts?
Capture3.JPG

lol have you ever cut one open that was molded into the cord thats what the OP has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back