Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best DAC For WAV Sampler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocket100

Hello,

So basically I am building an audio sampler that plays WAV PCM audio files. The WAV files will be 16bit at 48khz sample rate. This will be used for a professional application, so it will need to output the 16bit WAV in fairly good quality. I am having trouble figuring out what the best DAC (Digital To Analog Converter) would be to use for turning the PCM into an analog audio signal. Anybody have any suggestions for a DAC I should use? I have been looking into building a 16bit R-2R ladder, or purchasing maybe an I2C DAC chip. Still not sure what to do though.

Thanks in advanced for your help!

Anybody have any suggestions for a DAC I should use? I have been looking into building a 16bit R-2R ladder, or purchasing maybe an I2C DAC chip.

NO not R2R or I2C.

Go to TI.COM and click on audio. Look for ADC, DAC, and CODEC. There are many sources but TI will get you started. For this application use only parts designed for audio.

Yes - but my only concern is the package it is in. You will need to solder down the thermal slug on the back of the package for optimal performance - thermally and electrically. If you are a hobbiest, this might be tricky. Unless you buy one of their evaluation boards. Might be expensive, but will give the part its best performance. Most audio DACs will be in small packages like this because of the market they are designed to go into

AKM Semi, Analog Devices, Cirrus Logic Inc, FreeScale Semi, IDT, Maxim, National, Nuvoton Technology, NXP Semi, Semtech, Silicon Labs, ST-Ericsson Inc, ST Micro, TI

This list will give you hours of reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back