Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best peltier junction to light an LED from a hot coffee mug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triode

I've never used a peltier junction, so I don't really know what the power/efficiency considerations are for them. Would one reasonably be able to light one or a few red LEDs by being mounted between the bottom of a mug full of hot coffee and a small heat sink? What kind would work best for this?

I tried this once on the stove just to see. :eek::eek: I thought the voltage was low but couldn't remember the numbers. But..... Here is one made for power generation. It has to be pretty hot and pretty cold, then the current is impressive, but the voltage is low.

**broken link removed**

I looked up suggested serving temperatures for coffee and got 71 to 85c, room temperature is usually 22 to 25c. So that means my dT would be, at best, 46 to 64 c, which on that plot gives me 1.3V@0.65@ to 1.5V@0.9A. That should be enough to light atleast one red LED, though they usually like about 2V, most that I see say 1.8-2.2, and I have to take into account that the heat sink will probably warm up quickly. So I'm not really sure if it would work. I guess I could use 2 of them, but were already looking at $20 or so here.

Glad you started this thread. About 3 years ago, I looked into TEG power for a stand-by circulating pump for household heat and didn't find anything. I have dual fuel (propane and and outside woodburner).

Found another site that actually includes that application: **broken link removed**

Wrote for pricing. At this point, your project looks quite feasible.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back