Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best Pic Basic Compiler ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am thinking of buying PIC BASIC Compiler...

I wanted to know if which is good for me...

Is it ' pic basic ' or ' pic basic pro '...

and which is easy to use...:)

as i am just a hobbyist...

Regards,

Simran..

well...

Ya...

PIC BASIC and PIC BASIC PRO ... as i can see are industry leaders...

I've also seen that pic basic pro is having facility for tough applications like LCD driving and other things...

What if I order Pic Basic only... Will it fulfil my requirements when i am seeing from hobby point of view...:eek:

Thanks,

Regards,

Simran..:)

Is...

Is the PIC BASIC or PIC BASIC PRO available on CD ROM...

I wanted to know because we are having many computers at office...

Regards,

Simran..

Proton PicBasic.. One of the only software apps that I dont regret paying full price for, and it has recently come down in price too!!! :eek:

Oh, and I am not associated with Crownhill and Proton in any way, just a happy customer!! :D

simrantogether said:
Is the PIC BASIC or PIC BASIC PRO available on CD ROM...

I wanted to know because we are having many computers at office...

Regards,

Simran..

It's licenced for 1 computer. They may have special pricing for multiple computers though.

Hi...

Proton PicBasic.. One of the only software apps that I dont regret paying full price for, and it has recently come down in price too!!!

Oh, and I am not associated with Crownhill and Proton in any way, just a happy customer!!

Ok... Is Proton PicBasic for multiple computers or only for one computer...

If multiple computers then whats the price and for one computer then whats the price...

blueroomelectronics said:
It's licenced for 1 computer. They may have special pricing for multiple computers though.

Thanks Bill for up to date answers...

Regards,

Simran..:)

I used Picbasic Pro once - not a bad bit of software but I only used it once.

Went straight back to assembler in MPLab and haven't looked back once.

Yes its nice to have "prebuilt" routines for things like LCD driving but half the fun of using microcontrollers is knowing how your code works.

I write my own libraries in asm then copy and paste them (or link them) when required.

Both Proton and Swordfish use a USB dongle. One computer per licence.

edit: I agree with picbits, I use assembler and I find I try to think much the way the PIC does.
BASIC, C, Forth, JAL are all abstracts and are the developers view on the processor. You still need an in depth knowledge of the processor or you'll never figure out why your program doesn't work. Some languages will make assumptions, some won't.
The BASIC Stamps are popular because they are such simple devices on very ancient PICs (16C57) and make plenty of assumptions.
If you must use BASIC or C for that matter use C18 or Swordfish BASIC and avoid all 12bit and 14bit core PICs and use just the 18F series PICs.
Just my 2cents.

Last edited:
Hi...

The BASIC Stamps are popular because they are such simple devices on very ancient PICs (16C57) and make plenty of assumptions.
If you must use BASIC or C for that matter use C18 or Swordfish BASIC and avoid all 12bit and 14bit core PICs and use just the 18F series PICs.
Just my 2cents.

I got it...

and what about using the Great cow IDE as it is an open source compiler and also that it can generate unlimited amount of hex file...

Regards,

Simran..

Hi...

The nice thing about PIC BASIC Pro is it integrates with MPLAB and the debugger.

Does it mean that we can add ' inchworm + ' and my home made ' programmer ' on it...:eek:

Regards,

Simran..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back