Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best way to pick 5V off a 20-80V DC line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rnorman3

Hi, I have a line voltage that fluctuates from 20-80V...I want to put a 5V regulator on there...most only accept voltages up to 12V. How can I get the regulator to work on that line? I was thinking to charge a cap off the line though a diode, but it could still drop out if the voltage is low enough for long enough...maybe there's an OP AMP answer?
Thanks!

The small regulator would only have to supply about 200mA perhaps to run a PIC. The main 20-80V line carries up to 140A from a welder.

The TL783 linear regulator will handle input voltages to 140V. BUT 200mA and 80V will cause about 15 watts of power loss. HOT HEATSINK!!

I would use the LM5008, LM5017, LM5018. Input voltage to 95 volts. Can work with the input as low at 9 volts. The power loss will be about 0.1 watt.

The small regulator would only have to supply about 200mA perhaps to run a PIC. The main 20-80V line carries up to 140A from a welder.

My first reaction is "why would you want to do this?"

I do not have the "big picture" of what you are trying to do, but it sounds like you are doing it the hard way.
I would investigate the possibility of using a separate supply.
The welding supply is going to be electromagnetically "dirty", which will give many possibilities for the PIC to not work correctly.

JimB

I second JimB. I have boxes of discarded wall-warts (plug-packs) just for projects like this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back