BJT or FET buffer for CD output

Status
Not open for further replies.

I want to build a buffer (operate at +9Vdc) for CD output, any good suggestion? Thanks!

Why does your CD player need an output buffer? An output buffer won't drive a speaker unless it is an audio power amplifier, a completely different animal.

Thanks all! I plan to add a buffer after my passive preamp. CD -> Paasive Preamp ->buffer -> power amp -> speaker.

A "passive preamp" is a euphemism for a high-quality attenuator. See http://www.dact.com/html/passive_preamp.html.
You don't need a buffer unless you have a long cable between your "passive preamp" (snort!) and your power amp. A simple transistor buffer (BJT or FET) will undoubtedly make your audio quality worse than it was originally (without the "passive preamp" (snort!)). If you need a buffer, it will need to incorporate an op amp.

Last edited:
Makes you laught doesn't it! - the imaginary improvement of a 'passive preamp' (just a volume control), them adding an active buffer to it - so it's no longer passive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…