Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

black µC

Status
Not open for further replies.

_nox_

Hello,

I don't know whether this is the correct subforum for this question... so if not, then don't hesitate to move it...

having disassembled an acer adsl usb modem, I've found this black µC:
(click on the image to maximize)
**broken link removed**

Do you know what it is ? And why do people use chips which aren't labeled ?

Thanks,
Ciao,
Alexander

Last edited:
_nox_ said:
Do you know what it is ? And why do people use chips which aren't labeled ?

To stop people knowing what it is! :D

I don't see how having a number on it would help you in the slightest anyway?, it's quite possibly a programmed chip - and the number of the blank chip wouldn't be any use.

It might also have the number on the underneath side!.

Well ... it would not really help to know what it is - it's just my couriosity which drives me crazy :D

Yeah, justDIY is probably right....although I don't suppose it could be an FPGA? I don't see any flash IC's around it for programming so it probably isn't, but programmable logic is also popular in digital comms. As for detective work, although it's probably pointless, get the number of pins, and look for specific lines, like crystal oscillator connections, VDD, VSS, JTAG connections? Is that an ethernet connector there? In my experience (what little I have) they're rarely custom ASIC's, but rather just ASIC's manufactured by several compnies. A google search for ADSL modem controller will probably yeild results. Anyway, my two pence, I don't think it would be useful for anything other than its intended purpose, since true programmable (micro's) devices are more expensive, but I could be wrong, the Amstr@d Em@iler has a lovely ARM7 in it, and the whole thing costs a tenner, so who knows,

Blueteeth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back