Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Boot Loader

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrix

Hi, can some give me a clear explaination of a Bootloader ?

I've been using the PIC by simply programming the code into it , how would the bootloader help me ???

Bootloader

A bootloader is a program that stays in the microcontroller and communicates with the PC, usually through the serial interface.

The bootloader receives a user program from the PC and writes it in the flash memory, then launches this program in execution.

Bootloaders can only be used with those microcontrollers that can write their flash memory through software.

The bootloader itself must be written into the flash memory with an external programmer.

Never used one yet, anyway. :shock:

A bootloader can be handy mechanism for updating programs on products in the field without a programmer but I find them handy for development work as well...

On the 16F' devices with self-programming capability you can program code/program memory and eeprom memory...

On the 18F' devices with self-programming capability you can program code/program, eeprom, IDLoc, and config' memory, though many 18F' bootloaders disable config' memory modification for obvious reasons...

If you can spare approximately 100h words on a 16F' device or 200h words on an 18F' device, a bootloader might be a viable addition to one or more of your projects...

Microchip application note AN851 provides sample bootloader firmware for 16F877 and 18F252/452 devices as well as the PC side software... Caveat -- I seem to recall their PC side software may be a little buggy...

Regards, Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back