Bose headphones w/cell phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkdalpezzo

Folks. I travel via air a lot and use Bose noise reduction headphones, which I love. I also need to use my cell phone a lot in airports.

The trouble I have is noise in airports is pretty bad most of the time, making it hard to hear the other party on the phone.

My cell phone (a trusty Motorola Startac) has a noise cancelling microphone, and people hearing me and not the background noise isn't an issue. The issue is me hearing them.

I believe as soon as something is plugged into the phone jack, the phone's microphone is deactivated, thus I'd have to use a remote earpiece.

As I'm typing this, a thought occurred - do you think it's be possible to cut the earpiece off a remote mic/earpiece, solder a 1/8" female stereo jack (crossing left & right for mono) and then plug the Bose headphones into the jack for use? I'd use the remote mic to speak while listening via the Bose.

What are your thoughts on this?

Many thanks for your opinions in advance.

(I like searching this forum - I'm a novice, self teaching myself electronics and find forums like these valuable learning tools).

Regards,
Dave

That sound's like it should work. Most of the Cellphones I've worked with have simple analog earphone interfaces so they are not complicated. The only complication might be if they can't drive a lower impedance, like 8 ohms, vs, say 32 ohms. I'm not sure what output impedance is most common in cellphones. The ones I've seen would be fine with an 8 ohm load.

I tried the Bose headphones once at an airport kiosk and was impressed. The price drove me away though.

I did another google search (I've been doing a lot of these but got a hit I never noticed before) that talks about what I suggested:

**broken link removed**

I agree the price is high, but when I weighed the time in airports, planes, and noisy transportation hubs (where one catches a cab outside an airport), I figured the cost per hour was well worth it. I also use them to listen to my MP3 when I'm working on my laptop - I can keep the volume low (my hearing is bad enough already) without the constant-pitch noise. If you travel 25+ hours a year, including airport time, I highly recommend them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…