Bringing battery to exactly 12V from 13V

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisC

I have a 12VDC deep cycle battery that I am planning on using to power a delicate piece of 12VDC equipment. My concern is that the battery reads closer to 13VDC on a multi meter. I know the equipment I am planning on powering can withstand a range of input power but I would still like to bring the volts down closer to 12V for piece of mind.

Is there anyway to drop the voltage by .75VDC (or around there) but not reduce the amperage so other 12VDC devices can be plugged in as well? Or is there a device that can automatically maintain 12VDC no matter what voltage (12V+) is being outputted?

Thank you for any input you may have.
-Chris

A car battery is nominally 13.8V, but you really need to investigate the actual power requirements of what you're feeding, rather than blindly chasing a 'cure' which may not be required?.

hi,
You could use a series power diode in the +V line, gives about 0.7Vfwd drop.

Nigel, like I said its only for piece of mind when I know the decive will work with the given voltage anyway.

Eric, thanks I will look into that.

ChrisC said:
Nigel, like I said its only for piece of mind when I know the decive will work with the given voltage anyway.

A lead acid battery is actually a reasonably well regulated supply, so is normally no problem - unless what it's feeding is particularly badly designed.

Eric, thanks I will look into that.

Bear in mind it will only drop the voltage 0.7V, this will apply to all battery conditions, so a 12V battery will be dropped to 11.3V.

What piece of equipment are you talking about?

What sort of power supply is it designed to run from,i.e mains adaptor, AA cells etc.?

If it's designed to run from a mains adaptor it'll be alright as most mains adaptors put out over 16V off load anyway.

If it's digital it probab;y runs of 5V internally and therefore has a built-in 5V regulator which will probably work from anything between 8V to 25V (worst case) so it'll be alright.

Connect it straight to the 12V battery it'll alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…