Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BTECH PROJECT ON OUR HEAD!!!!PLZ HELP!!!!SOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandy12385

Hi,
i am a final year engineering student.we have to submit our topic for the project in like two days.We have some ideas but not good enough and the ideas are all quite ordinary.Is it possible for us to do any project using SMS?for example,sending exam seat number,exam date,exam time etc via SMS.Plz provide me with the necessary links,circuitry,hardware required,chances of project success and useful links also....plzzzzzzzzz.......I am sorry to trouble u so much but i just got to know abt ur site today.......thanx for thy attention....hopin for a reply soon

PS:we have thought abt Optical transmitter,Smart Fire Detector....can u also give us some clue abt these?....thank u again.........

Yours Truly,
Sandy.

This is typical of the kind of project questions we get here from electronics students who want to pass their course but at the same time don't really care to take that much interest in the electronics subject itself. Most of us forum users quite like helping people with their projects and giving general electronics advice, but we generally like to see that some effort has been undertaken by the project author first. Afterall, who wants to do someone elses entire project for them?

It sounds to me like you've still got a blank piece of paper at the moment. You really need to do some research into project viability for the various ideas that you have. It's ok to be ambitous, but you need to ensure that you're not exceeding you're own capabilities. At the end of the day all you really need is a BTEC standard project - as long as you fulfill the needs of the syllabus for a BTEC standard project you're ok. Don't go digging yourself into a deep hole for the sake of it, especially if you find that you can't get yourself out of that hole. It's too late three months down the line to decide you can't do your project and that you want to change your idea - so be very careful when choosing one!

With regards to SMS projects, my initial thoughts are that this kind of project is too complex for a standard BTEC project. However, it's up to you to decide whether it's a viable project or not and the best way to do that is to evaluate the work that previously went into a similar project.

If you search the archives of Elektor Electronics Magazine (visit their website) you should find that in one of their back issues, going back some time ago now, they did a whole project on control over SMS. Dig this article out, you'll probably have to pay a couple of pounds for it, have a read through and then, once you've an understanding of what's involved you should be able to decide whether you think you can do an SMS related project. The article will also give you a good grounding on the subject should you wish to continue in this direction.

Let us know how you get on.

Brian

Nice response Brian! I've spent plenty of time mentoring younger folks and the value I seem to add is helping them to see just how big (or small) the challenge is ahead of them. It's also quite important to avoid having to invest large amounts of resources in areas that are far outside the area of study - it gets in the way and you don't get points for it. An example from one young 4th yr EE - he wanted to demonstrate the control system for a PC board drilling machine - xy axis only. He would have been bogged down (and over budget) had I not talked him out of actually building the entire mechanism. His project proposal was to design, build and demonstrate the system from the controller up to and including the motors. He described the remaining parts of the system and his professor agreed that he did not have to actually build anything beyond the controller and motors.

Planning is important. That's most likely one of the important lessons of projects like this. It sounds like you are at least seeking the advice of others with experience - that's an essential part of planning.

ThermalRunaway said:
This is typical of the kind of project questions we get here from electronics students who want to pass their course but at the same time don't really care to take that much interest in the electronics subject itself. Most of us forum users quite like helping people with their projects and giving general electronics advice, but we generally like to see that some effort has been undertaken by the project author first. Afterall, who wants to do someone elses entire project for them?

Brian

Thermal,

Very well said!

i'm starting my engineering degree this september, and i agree. how could you be in your third year and be typing that sort of rubish on electronics sites. its clear you havent thought about it at all and you just want people to send you circuits!!!
well tough, most people here refuse to answer the "please help me" topics because we know its idiots like you!
i'm going to acctualy earn my degree, other wise i'd just be wasting 4 years of my life!!

go away and slap yourself!

Misterbenn said:
i'm starting my engineering degree this september, and i agree. how could you be in your third year and be typing that sort of rubish on electronics sites. its clear you havent thought about it at all and you just want people to send you circuits!!!
well tough, most people here refuse to answer the "please help me" topics because we know its idiots like you!
i'm going to acctualy earn my degree, other wise i'd just be wasting 4 years of my life!!

go away and slap yourself!

Well said! - however, it might carry a bit more conviction if you hadn't spelt your location wrong :lol:

experts, oracles, gods

Please don't let posts like this turn you from helping young and dedicated newbies such as I.

I have and will never ask for a circuit diagram or a Complete project when i have no single Idea of mine.

Sandy, This is not a forum that you get FREE ICE CREAM with every thing on. I came here with faint ideas. Now I'm working on 3 projects and getting loads of support from the GURUs of the site... Nigel, Thermal, et al.

So cool it down. Think of something. Read up the theories. Then ask questions.

Misterbenn, pls ease up on him... It's just his 1st post
Demola

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back