Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Building a Head Mounted Display device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero.sl

Hi folks
Currently I'm involved with this project where I have to build my own head mounted display device for an augmented reality application. Buying a commercial HMD would definitely be the best solution but unfortunately my goal is to build one. :D

I have no much experience with driving LCDs. So I need some help with designing the setup. For the ease of commenting and clarity, I'll brief everything to few points.

1) HMD consists of two LCDs (placed in front of each eye) and necessary circuits.
2) I’m planning to use this OLED module in the HMD for following reasons
a.Meets the size requirements
b.Embedded MCU
c.Availability of rich library functions
d.Affordable​
3) HMD can be connected to a PC where the augmented reality application is running on, via the serial port (Or via Bluetooth serial port profile, if possible).
4) The output of the application will be a video stream for HMD (say 30fps). It can be customized (Haven’t defined a protocol yet).
5) MCU in OLED modules accepts the serial data stream and displays it. (MCU will be programmed using **broken link removed**)​

This is a high-level description of what I’m planning to implement. If I have missed anything, please let me know. I’d like to see your comments on this project. At the moment, I have following questions;
1. Is this OLED module suitable for this project?
2. Will the maximum possible baud rate of Serial port be enough for this application?​
Thanks in advance. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back