Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Building First Pic Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan76

First off let me say that this is my first time using the pic. I have 2 pic16f84a and would like to build a programmer for them. I went through the Newcomers, please read! (PIC regarded) post and am getting confused. Seems to be alot of options and Im wondering which way to go. What in your opion is the best route to take. I downloaded the mplab and installed it. This seems to be a pretty good looking piece of software, I would like to use it if possible (can it be used with any pic programmer?) but am open to suggestions.

If someone has built more then one of the pics listed in the help post then please let me know which of them you would recomend. Or if you know of a better one no listed then send me a link. Thanks again.... :)

First see the sticky posts for this forum for a lot of how to get started info.

For a first time PICer I suggest you buy your first programmer. It will save you a lot of time and headache. Maybe the PIC-PG2. With shipping about $15. You will not be able to use MPLAB with it, but since the 16F84A does not have any breakpoints there is no real downside. SparkFun provides the schematics for the PIC-PG2 and other programmers so you could build one from scratch if you like.

In time you will want to move up to an In Circuit Debugger like the Inchworm ICD2 clone kit that was designed by one of the regulars on this forum.

3v0

3v0 said:
You will not be able to use MPLAB with it, but since the 16F84A does not have any breakpoints there is no real downside.
A point of clarification.

I think 3v0 means that you can't programme a PIC from MPLAB with this PIC Programmer.

However, you can use MPLAB to write, test and compile your programmes.

MPLAB will produce a Hex file that you can then load into the PIC via the programmer using software such as icprog.

3v0 said:
In time you will want to move up to an In Circuit Debugger like the Inchworm ICD2 clone kit that was designed by one of the regulars on this forum.

I am new to PICs too. I bought the Inchworm and just finished it this week. I haven't tried it out yet as I can't find a cable, but so far I would recommend it. Its easy to solder so putting it together wasn't bad at all.

I looked at building my own programmer too, but decided it was far easier to order the inchworm kit. My only regret is I didn't get the firefly companion board at the same time. As soon as I get some extra cash i'm gonna send for one.

ljcox said:
A point of clarification.

I think 3v0 means that you can't programme a PIC from MPLAB with this PIC Programmer.

However, you can use MPLAB to write, test and compile your programmes.

MPLAB will produce a Hex file that you can then load into the PIC via the programmer using software such as icprog.

Thanks for that info, it will help alot.

Andy1845c said:
I am new to PICs too. I bought the Inchworm and just finished it this week. I haven't tried it out yet as I can't find a cable, but so far I would recommend it. Its easy to solder so putting it together wasn't bad at all.

I looked at building my own programmer too, but decided it was far easier to order the inchworm kit. My only regret is I didn't get the firefly companion board at the same time. As soon as I get some extra cash i'm gonna send for one.

I tossed around the idea of just buying it but I decided to build it. If all else fails I will buy one. Thanks for the advice.

Bryan76 said:
I tossed around the idea of just buying it but I decided to build it. If all else fails I will buy one. Thanks for the advice.

Here is a circuit diagram which can program some PICs up to 18 pins.I built this and still I'm using it.A nice LVP programmer circuit.I've tried PICs like 84,84A,628A & it works fine..

here is the original link
**broken link removed**

Attachments

• MultiChipPgmr-Cct.gif
    MultiChipPgmr-Cct.gif
    13 KB · Views: 347
I recommend Sparkfun's $99 ICD2 programmer/debugger. It's a cheap clone of Microchip's ICD2 and is supported with Microchip's ICD2 software releases. It's a do-it-all device and probably the last programmer you'll ever need. I mean the new dsPIC series came out after this thing and the all program just fine with it, but few other programmers can work with them. ICD2 is a tremendous help in code development.

Also very very fast.

I just think getting into PICs is enough work in itself, and programmers are so touchy from one setup to another that it's not worth the hassle.

Last edited:
Ok I just finished putting it together on a proto board.
I built the following: JDM Programmer (Ludipipo)

I have hooked it up straight to my com1 port on the computer. Now how the heck do I check to see if it is working? :confused: :D

Bryan76 said:
I have hooked it up straight to my com1 port on the computer. Now how the heck do I check to see if it is working? :confused: :D

You need also to use a controlling software(aka programming software) to load the HEX file into the software and then output to the PIC. There are a lot of choices.

Your programmer is working if you can read the ID and flash content of the PIC, erase it and re-program it with the HEX file that you have made previously using MPLAB.

eblc1388 said:
You need also to use a controlling software(aka programming software) to load the HEX file into the software and then output to the PIC. There are a lot of choices.

Your programmer is working if you can read the ID and flash content of the PIC, erase it and re-program it with the HEX file that you have made previously using MPLAB.

I loaded a hex file using ic-prog and then attempted to copy it to the pic. Nothing seems to happen.:confused: Is there anyway to do a check just to make sure the comp and software is seeing the pic? Also while using ic-prog it seems that everytime i load it or execute a command i get the message "priviliged command" is that normal?

Bryan76 said:
I loaded a hex file using ic-prog and then attempted to copy it to the pic. Nothing seems to happen.:confused: Is there anyway to do a check just to make sure the comp and software is seeing the pic? Also while using ic-prog it seems that everytime i load it or execute a command i get the message "priviliged command" is that normal?

From where did you get the hex file? Did you intalled the driver of IC PROG? if installed check the hardware tab in the IC PROG whether is correctly fixed to COM PORT..Also check whether windowsNT chechbox clicked.restart IC PROG & feed the hex file.

Bryan76 said:
I loaded a hex file using ic-prog and then attempted to copy it to the pic. Nothing seems to happen.:confused:

You've started to run before you can walk.

Just do a READ operation on the PIC to see if one can read back the PIC ID correctly. If you can't no point trying to program it with a HEX file.

For most programming softwares, there are options inside the software to check the hardware connections by turning ON/OFF the voltage on MCLR pin, VDD pin & PGD and PGC pins to verify the actual connection of the programmer to the PC.

Gayan Soyza said:
From where did you get the hex file? Did you intalled the driver of IC PROG? if installed check the hardware tab in the IC PROG whether is correctly fixed to COM PORT..Also check whether windowsNT chechbox clicked.restart IC PROG & feed the hex file.

The windows nt was not checked and I missed the driver part. That seems to have fixed my prob. Thanks for the input. Wow it only took 6hrs to build this and get it running :eek: lol. Well now I need to put it to use. :D Any suggestions?

3v0 said:
First see the sticky posts for this forum for a lot of how to get started info.

For a first time PICer I suggest you buy your first programmer. It will save you a lot of time and headache. Maybe the PIC-PG2. With shipping about $15. You will not be able to use MPLAB with it, but since the 16F84A does not have any breakpoints there is no real downside. SparkFun provides the schematics for the PIC-PG2 and other programmers so you could build one from scratch if you like.

3v0

Hi,

how to beleive the specs and supported devices listed especially ones like 16C54 with a programmer like pic-pg2 ( it is OLIMEX type and suitable for icsp and mostly one lands into Vpp problems-- it may not support modern PCs and Laptops with low voltage com and USB ports unless the Vcc and Vpp are suitably processed and ensured.

Well I started my comp and fired up ic-prog and now its back to not working. I think the program cant find the drivers, any ideas?

mvs sarma said:
Hi,

how to beleive the specs and supported devices listed especially ones like 16C54 with a programmer like pic-pg2 ( it is OLIMEX type and suitable for icsp and mostly one lands into Vpp problems-- it may not support modern PCs and Laptops with low voltage com and USB ports unless the Vcc and Vpp are suitably processed and ensured.

Your point is well taken.

I would rather people start with an ICD2 clone which gives them a very good programmer. Just as important is the debugger support that the ICD2 provides. That is my opinion.

But there are people that want to use simple programmers. It can be difficult for them to sort through all the problems you mentioned above on a scratch built in addition to possible wiring/build errors. The purchased unit cuts out the hunt for wiring errors. Makes it a bit easier to get started.
3v0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back