Building First Pic Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bryan76
If u r using Windows XP then ICprog not run on Windows xp. Infact it runs, but not work correctly.

First of all send any hex into pic using programmer and load it again. if it loads correctly then go to next step(making some project).

Last edited:
Ayne said:
Bryan76
If u r using Windows XP then ICprog not run on Windows xp. Infact it runs, but not work correctly.

First of all send any hex into pic using programmer and load it again. if it loads correctly then go to next step(making some project).

Well that stinks. I am using XP. It seems to work. I loaded a hex and then made some changes to it. Then I shut down the program and restarted. I load the pic and it had the correct hex changes on it. So it seems to work. What part is not functioning with xp?

You install some addtional drives with ICProg???

infact when i start with ICprog, it was not working on Windows XP. But it worked right on Windows 98.

Which language u want to use for Programing???

www.mikroe.com
Good compliers are there of both C and Basic language. and they are free but limited to 2k program memory. it is enough memory for newb.

Basic is easy make ur first program ur self, u will be more happy.

ICProg works under XP fine, although as with any program that directly accesses the hardware you need a driver DLL to allow it to do so. Access under Win98 is easier, because their's no restriction on direct access.

when i open in XP a message box show

"Privileged instruction"

can i solve this problem if yes then how?

Ayne said:

"Privileged instruction"

You read the first page of this thread where it tells you!

Ayne said:

"Privileged instruction"

Get the driver dll, goto options and enable nt/2000/xp driver

Ayne said:
You install some addtional drives with ICProg???

infact when i start with ICprog, it was not working on Windows XP. But it worked right on Windows 98.
I had to install a driver to make it work on XP. I can look up its name if you need it.

Well I have ran into a wall on this project. The pic programmer is working, but for the life of me I cant figure out how to load a hex file. I have used visual and C+ before and am not all that new to programming.

1. I am using the JDM Programmer along with ic-prog, the chip is the pic16f84a.

2. What compiler can I use for this programmer?

u can use any complierfor this programmer.

www.mikroe.com
i already paste this link above.
go to that web and download Basic or C complier. Write ur program in any one of those compliers, and click on "build button", they will generate a HEX of ur program. Then open ICprog and open generated HEX in ICprog. And send it into PIC. Now ur PIC is ready to use in ur circuit.

Infact u need a HEX file to program a PIC, and u can use any program(Complier) that can creat HEX file for PIC according to ur written Program.

U can use any complier with any programmer.

Thanks, but I think I have a diffrent prob. I keep getting ""verify failed at address 0000h" error.

This error occur when no PIC in socket

It means,
1. ur PIC is not properly inserted in Socket.
OR
2. U have fry ur PIC...

Yesterday it was working right???

It actually means the PIC isn't getting set to programming mode, by FAR the most common cause is too little voltage on Vpp.

Bryan76 said:
Thanks, but I think I have a diffrent prob. I keep getting ""verify failed at address 0000h" error.

Hi Bryan76,
First you try to measure the Vpp and it should be at least 13 Volts for effective programming.

2. even before you start using the icprog, you see the properties of the exe file -go to compatibility and select win2000 and accept and come out. this is required for using it on winXP

3. you ensure that the COM port used by you and the one indicated on the software( if icprog105D isused-- under'settings'-'hardware'- you must find it as the type of programmer you assembled-- com port to be correct- the winAPI eneabled-(if under winXP))

4. you try to earse the chip and verify for clear earsed chip by reading.
5. goto buffer file at 0000 and modify it as 0000-- others being 3fff
6. save this as an abcd.hex file
7. call for this file and try to programm it.
then verify-- you will come to know at least whether first location is programmed.

most obvious mistakes are low Vpp and wrong COM port and compatibility

all the best

It seems to work. I loaded a hex and then made some changes to it. Then I shut down the program and restarted. I load the pic and it had the correct hex changes on it. So it seems to work.

his post in this thread,

Wow thanks for the input guys. It seems that I placed the chip into the proto board incorrectly . I tested the chip for damage and all is good.

Bryan76 said:
Wow thanks for the input guys. It seems that I placed the chip into the proto board incorrectly . I tested the chip for damage and all is good.

CONGRATS BRYAN76.

all the best

can u share the picture of ur proto??

infact i am also designing a proto type PIC16F877A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…