Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bulb Gear Indicator To Digital Number One Digit

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuki2

Hye all user www.electro-tech-online.com

My name is azri zakaria...nick name is chuki2...from malaysia...new people in this forum...

May im ask u question about digital panel gear indicator??

Im using Yamaha LC135(can goggle it to know more information),So my bike have already gear indicator from N until 4 only using bulb..That means i have 4 gear on my mini bike...Gear indicator using sensor in my engine,1 bulb=1 sensor...If condition on "N",so "N" bulb will On,then i put gear "1",bulb another will ON until reach 4.U all got what i means?My bike using 12V

So my question,how to change bulb to digital panel 1 digit?i just want use number 1 until 4 except N(because N i will use stock bulb).How to change flow current to display a number every gear? Can my dream to be statment??

Example for picture:
**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

I love to Do-It-Myself(D.I.Y)..i know some wiring..i hope u all can make diagram to me if can...

Sorry if im open thread wrong selection...if wrong,teach were to post...

So sorry for my bad english..i hope u all can help me...Tq very much sir...have a nice day...

You could do this with diodes and resistors. You connect a resistor to each segment of the display and then a diode from each switch to the relevant resistors.

Mike.

Here is how you would wire the switch from gear 4 so it lights segments BCFD.
gear.png

You do the same for the other switches.

Mike.

You could also use a 10-line to 4-line encoder, such as a CD40147B to generate BCD data. The BCD data is then converted to a 7-segment readout signal by a chip such as the CD4511. You may need to a an inverter on each of the 4 signal lines since the CD40147B requires a active low signal. If the transmission switch connects to ground to signal the gear, then the polarity would be correct and no inverter would be needed.

You could also use a 10-line to 4-line encoder, such as a CD40147B to generate BCD data. The BCD data is then converted to a 7-segment readout signal by a chip such as the CD4511. You may need to a an inverter on each of the 4 signal lines since the CD40147B requires a active low signal. If the transmission switch connects to ground to signal the gear, then the polarity would be correct and no inverter would be needed.
Sir...can u give example??BCD is mean binary code right??

Yes, BCD is Binary Coded Decimal. It's simply each digit 0 through 9 in a 4-bit binary group (0000 through 1001). The binary numbers for 10 through 15 are not used. If you look at the data sheets for those two circuit you can see how they work. The BCD output from the CD40147B goes to the BCD input of the CD4511.

In your case, since your are using only one digit, BCD is the same as binary.

Last edited:
You would be best to use lots of diodes, as Pommie shows.

You need one diode for each segment for each gear.
1st needs 2 diodes
2nd needs 5 diodes
3rd needs 5 diodes
4th needs 4 diodes
Neutral (as "n") needs 3 diodes.

So a total of 19 diodes. You also need a resistor for each segment, so 7 resistors.

That solution involves a lot of soldering, but it is robust, and won't do anything confusing. It is the best idea if you are new to electronics.

The neatest way to assemble this is on vero (strip) board. With 12 strip, 5 for switch inputs and seven for segment outputs, the diodes would take 19 holes and resistors another 5. Add a couple for soldering wires and the whole thing will be 1.2 x 2.6 inches.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back