Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Burden Resistor On Voltage Regulators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zordon

I am currently typing up a report and i was wondering why there is a resistor between the Comm pin and the output pin of the 7805 for example. I have three regulators in my circuit and they all have this 120:eek:hm: resistor.

At work someone told me its called a burden resistor and its used to keep the output steady. Is this true i havent been able to find anything online about it.

thanks

You don't normally need a 120:eek:hm: resistor in an LM7805 regulator circuit but it's pretty standard in LM317 circuits.

Please post the circuit and we might be able to comment.

sorry the resistors are on the LM317 and LM337, i was wondering what they are for.
this is a schematic of a dual tracking power supply. For a school project.

**broken link removed**

The 120:eek:hm: resistor normally forms the top part of the potential divider in the standard voltage regulator circuit which is shown on the LM317 datasheet. Is also provides a minimum load and the regulator won't regulate properly, if its value is too high, which is why it's included in this circuit.

Another thing, the circuit on the datasheet if for the more expensive LM117 or LM217 which only requires a 240:eek:hm: resistor.

Diodes D6 & D7 are reversed. You won't get an output voltage there.
Actually the voltage at the juction of D7 and R4 is approximately 1.4V negative. with a pot
connected between T4 & T5 will allow the LM317's output to be 0 volts.

I take it this precaution is optional on regulators with short-circuit protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back