Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Buying from microchipDIRECT

Status
Not open for further replies.

arsh

Hi,
I am thinking to buy the PICKit3 Debug Express kit from microchipDIRECT, it is listed for $69.99. If I buy from them I will get 25% off (student discount), and I have to pay 13% Canadian tax+$13 for Fedex shipping and it will cost me total of $72.32. My question is to fellows in Canada who have any experience buying from microchipDIRECT that if I have to pay any fees to Fedex when they deliver, like broker fees or any other hidden fees I should consider before ordering from microchipDIRECT. Also I am reading mix comments about PICKit3, so what you guys think about that should I go for it or buy the PICKit2. Thank you for your input on this one.

arsh

Usually unless something is over a certain value (over here it's $1000) then you don't have to pay any extra import duties/taxes on it.

The PicKit 2 has more features, such as a logic analyzer, however the PicKit 3 supports more chips and will continue to support new chips. If you plan one getting into the PIC32 in the future then the PicKit 3 is the way to go.

Last edited:
Gobbledok, the price difference between the PICKit2 and PICKit3 is only $10 and I am not looking into other features of PICKit2, I am going to use this for programming and debugging only so if PICKit3 is good and stable for that I will buy PICKit3.
And yes 3v0, I looked into Digikey they are selling this kit for $72.32+13%tax+$8 shipping for a total of $89.72, so microchipDIRECT is $17 cheaper than Digikey.

Well the PicKit 3 is the way to go. I use it for all of my programming and debugging and can't fault it for that.

I actually use a PicKit 3 clone off eBay which cost me about $30-$40AU from memory.

So you need the target board that comes with the PK3 Express. The PK3 by itself is about $44 by itself. If you can't find the PK3 by itself look at the part number for it in the express package.

And if you do need the target. then YES that is fine too.

Yes, I am planning to buy the PK3+target board so I can start playing with it when I receive it, because I am still learning the microcontrollers and I want to go through the tutorials that come with the package.

I bought the PK2 with target board a few years ago, and found it excellent - and I've recently bought the PK3 (without target board) for it's support of extra devices that I wanted to use (specifically the 16F1827) - I didn't get the target board because once you've played with it a few times, you never touch it again :D

So for your first time, it's worth getting the target board.

arsh:

In your order, what is the delivery time, usually if it's 2-3 days the item is shipped priority and the brokerage fees are included with the price. This is what Digikey does. If you do order let us know as I was thinking of purchasing something from Microchipdirect but did not want to get hit with brokerage fees either.

FedEx does not advertise it's brokerage fees, but I did find this pdf that states their fees for standard shipping, I belive priority or expedited does not include the brokerage fees.

https://www.stokecity.ca/FTN-FXG%20Brokerage%20Schedule%2003-01-04%20English%20Version.pdf

Last edited:
Usually unless something is over a certain value (over here it's $1000) then you don't have to pay any extra import duties/taxes on it.

You aussies are ever so lucky. Canadians get hit with duty/taxes and brokerage fees on anything over $20.00 by mail. I think are U.S. friends to the south are allowed $200.00 by mail before duty/taxes and brokerage fees.

Last edited:
You aussies are ever so lucky. Canadians get hit with duty/taxes and brokerage fees on anything over $20.00 by mail. I think are U.S. friends to the south are allowed $200.00 by mail before duty/taxes and brokerage fees.

In the UK it seems pretty well 'hit and miss', I don't know what the specific cut-off point is (but it's not very high), mostly orders from outside the EU get through without any extra charges. Occasionally though you fall unlucky, and get hit with import duty, VAT (currently 20%), and a charge for collecting the money. I don't order much these days from abroard, but in all the years I have done it, I've only got hit once - but as I only order items that you can't buy here, it doesn't really matter, it's not like there's a choice.

Surely you can order a PK3 in Canada though anyway?.

Thought so - Newark Canada:

https://canada.newark.com/microchip/dv164131/pickit-3-debug-express/dp/50P9695

I bought mine from Farnell UK (the parent company).

Digikey Canada is selling this kit for almost the same price as microchipDIRECT and their shipping is even $6 cheaper than the microchipDIRECT, the only reason I am buying from microchipDIRECT is because of 25% student discount and that will save me $17 on this kit. Only thing that make me not order from microchipDIRECT is the Fedex, because I heard lot of stories where people bought $30 worth of item and they had to pay almost same amount in fees to Fedex. That is the main reason of my post to check with you guys and I am still waiting for a Canadian fellow who has already used microchipDIRECT in Canada so I can confirm before I order from them otherwise the Digikey will be my best bet.

bryan,
in their shipping information page it says "FedEx 2nd Day Air" and also it say "Taxes and Import Duties
By default, Microchip will ship all credit card orders DDP (delivery duties paid). This means you will be charged up front for the cost of taxes and import duties and that we will have our freight company handle the payment of customs duties for you." but it's not clear that if Fedex will charge me any thing extra.

if excise and customs departments charge for this parcel, the courier pays first and collects from you later, at time of delivery giving you the receipts or copies of them.

=arsh;979312By default, Microchip will ship all credit card orders DDP (delivery duties paid). This means you will be charged up front for the cost of taxes and import duties and that we will have our freight company handle the payment of customs duties for you." but it's not clear that if Fedex will charge me any thing extra.

I suspect if import duties and taxes are charged up front they are acting as the broker and you should not be charged a brokerage fee. In any event, Fedex does not collect at the door, but mail you a invoice 30 days later. I think you should be ok.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back