Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Buying New Multimeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawnmk

I visited Radioshack to buy new multimeter.

Their multimeters mention : 29-Range, 17-Range. But they all seem alike besides this parameter.

Can you help me understand what they mean by x-Range? Is it a limitation on current or voltage or resistance measurement?

k. I think I understood. I couldnt clear my doubt over the counter at Radioshack. So I came back and searched and searched. Lastly (most foolish thing to do) I searched on the Radioshack website. RadioShack

It explains what a 17-Range multimeter is.

glad to be of some help to someone if they had the same doubt.

Hype: A range for a manually ranged voltmeter is the number of knob positions.

A range for us folk might be 300.0 mV, 3.000 V, 30.00 V, 1000 V . e.g 0-1000 V in 4 ranges. Counts may go to 3000 because a lot of voltages are 12, 15 and 24 and thus you can measure those higher voltages with better resolution. Earlier meters were 1.999 full scale. On the Fluke 77, the 300 mV range has to be manually selected. The others auto range. 1000 V is a typical maximum voltage for a DVM.

Basic functions are AC voltage, DC voltage, AC current, DC current, and Diode Test. Current ranges are sometimes limited as well.

Frequency, inductance, capacitance, batter test and even Hfe (Current gain of transistors) have been added with limitations.

Limitations exist for all measurements.

Nice to see you are doing a little homework before buying. By all means read the links provided by Mike & tcmtech.

There are a good number of things that drive cost, other than the name on the meter so get familiar with them. Beginning with the accuracy and resolution of the instrument. Then after getting familiar with the host of features they cram in today's hand held DMMs decide what features you want or would be nice to have. Although a Fluke 87 series DMM is a nice to have, you need to ask if you need a $400 DMM? Especially when a good DMM can be had in the $49.95 price range. You get what you pay for so shop for the best deal with the features you want / need. A good hand held DMM will serve you well for years.

Just My Take
Ron

I kind of like this one because it has a temperature probe as well.

**broken link removed**

Do the more expensive Mastech Meters solve this problem?

Yes they do! :D

My MS8265 says a new 9 volt battery IS 9.1 volts on the DC range and 0 volts on the AC range.

While measuring a common 12 volt power adapter it says its 14.8 volts on DC and .092 volts on AC with a 120Hz frequency. My Tektronics 320 Digital O-scope seems to agree with the .092 volts AC 120 Hz ripple numbers as well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back