Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bye Bye Google Good Bye

Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Coop Build Coordinator
Forum Supporter
Yeah it should be

Bye Bye Google Good Bye

but we can't edit titles.​

Have you ever noticed when you google for something like say 'old shoes' you get hits saying thing like

Buy cheap 'old shoes' here.​

It is because google has sent you search terms along with the info it has on you to that site! Not my idea of a good thing.

I found a search engine called 'duckduckgo' that I am going to give a try because it claims not to do that.

I mentioned this in chat, but I use AdBlock and it removes those sorts of links, leaving only the regular search hits on the results page.

@everyone, if you are using Chrome or FireFox and don't have adblock installed, I can't recommend installing it enough. You will NOT regret it!

Let me know how duckduckgo works, 3v0. You've piqued my curiosity ;)

Regards,
Matt

I believe there are settings in Chrome to prevent sites from retrieving your data. I'll take a look and get back to you.

UPDATE: This may or may not be what you're looking for, but try this:

Go to your Chrome menu (three stacked bars on the top right) and select "Settings"
Click "Show Advanced Settings"
Scroll down to "Privacy". There are a couple of things you can change here, but the main settings are inside "Content Settings..."

It will help, at the very least. I haven't had a problem with it since I changed my settings. No personalized ads, and then I installed adblock to block the regular ads that showed up.

Last edited:
Tried once duckduckgo, few days ago. Seemed OK.

Does it make sense to doubt of which one is most "powerful" whatever that could mean?

I mentioned this in chat, but I use AdBlock and it removes those sorts of links, leaving only the regular search hits on the results page.

@everyone, if you are using Chrome or FireFox and don't have adblock installed, I can't recommend installing it enough. You will NOT regret it!

Very impressed with Add Block Pro! Nearly 200K adds blocked since I put it on this computer two months ago! :woot:(YouTube really racks up the numbers.) :facepalm:

That said I too would like to hear more about different search engines that filter out the junk from the truly relevant better than Google as well.

So far my attempts to use other search engines has not greatly impressed me either.

This just remembered me of this, anyone interested? It must be a bargain :D
ebay_bargains.jpg

Can I get them at Walmart? I don't want to pay shipping and I have suspicions they won't ship themselves. o_O

Okay, let's take this down a notch. Let's keep to the topic at hand :rolleyes:

One thing to keep in mind tho, this site and many others, that some of us have, rely on google adsense to help pay the running costs. I have mixed feelings about leaving google, on the one i hate the kind of thing 3V0 mentions, on the other i derive income from it!!
Rock and Hard place for me :D

Enjoying the power Matt ;), quick U turn considering you were leaving :D

The only new "power" I have is to clean up spam. Nothing more. ;)

I am as surprised as anyone else that I was asked to moderate, but again, this is only a temporary position. I'll be rotated out in a while and a new set of moderators will be added, as discussed before.

And for the record, I'd already left, I came back just for the rule change thread. :D

Regards,
Matt

Carefull what you say Matt, I knew a guy who had a bit of wisdom which went:
"There is nothing more permanent than something which start as temporary!"

JimB

Let's hope this is not one of those cases! :p

Sorry 3v0, back to your topic! :D

The only new "power" I have is to clean up spam. Nothing more. ;)

So the maniacal fits of sinister laughter are merely a stress relief technique and have nothing to do with the new found power of being a moderator? :wideyed:

Yea we know what you guys do in the moderators break room. :rolleyes:

Courtesy of Google. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back