C Compiler for rfPIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

YAN-1

Hello everyone. I am required to do a project using the rfPIC12F675K and I am to buid my programs using a Microchip C compiler. Since this rfPIC is an 8-bit microcontroller with a 12-bit program word architecture, I was wondering if the C18 compiler can be used to build its programs. The C18 is made for 8-bit microcontrollers, right? And the C30 won't do because it supports 16-bit devices, right? Your assistance would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Nichola V. Abdo

No, the C18 is for 18F only (16 bit core), the 16F series (which the 12F675 actually is!) uses a 14 bit core.

Microchip doesn't have a C compiler for the Baseline (12-bit) or Midrange (14-bit) parts. On the latest versions of MPLAB, the CCS PCB compiler is included but it only supports Baseline (12-bit) parts.

You may want to try the free version of the CC5X compiler. Lots of people use it and have very good results:

**broken link removed**

BoostC has the rfPIC12F675k on its device support list. CC5x does not.

Aside from the fact that CC5x might not even support that chip, I would also recommend BoostC over CC5x because it can do pretty much everything CC5x can, the syntax is practically the same (I switched from CC5x to BoostC years back with very little trouble), and the free version of BoostC supports 2k of code, whereas the free version of CC5x only supports 1k of code. BoostC is also much cheaper if you end up deciding to purchase a license for it... $30-70 depending on whether you want 4k or unlimited code memory, vs. $250 for CC5x.

http://sourceboost.com/Products/BoostC/Overview.html

Also, (and this may not matter to some people, so take it how you want) CC5x is written and managed by one guy in norway, as far as I know; to his credit, he always seemed to respond to my emails when I used that compiler. BoostC is managed by a couple of guys, and they have a support forum on their website (which is a big plus) and they are generally very active on it... But it's very nice to have a centralized user base to turn to if you have any problems, instead of having to wait for email from a single developer, or search around for users on other forums such as this one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…