C Tutorial/Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

eleceng

Can anyone recommend an online book/tutorial or a real book to learn C?

I have done C before, but forgot alot and would like to start from scratch.

Thanks

I would also recommend K&R.

What languages if any do you already know? "C as a Second Language" is pretty good if you're coming from Pascal.

Also, back in the day I found "Code Complete" very useful. Not specific to the C language but good for helping to develop good coding habits.

Torben

Defining your platform might help as programming C for a PC and programming C for an embedded or micro controller platform are going to entail very different learning methods.
I've used LCC-win32 for PC's a little, it's a nice free ANSI based compiler/environment and a nice way to introduce yourself into C again. Plenty of tutorials and example code.

I have been wondering the same thing, for the purpose of programing micro controllers where is a good place to start for C?

I like Robert Lafore's book. It's by far the best one I've seen so far.

I learned ASM and have always used it. Now I'm finding that I need to know C for embedded systems (microcontrollers) It seems like every book I find is C++ or PC based C.

mnboy said:
I learned ASM and have always used it. Now I'm finding that I need to know C for embedded systems (microcontrollers) It seems like every book I find is C++ or PC based C.
THat;s another reason I like Lafore- even though it's actually a C++ book a lot of it still applies to C and it's not really PC based. It teaches you the basic structures and organization of the language.

Can anyone recommend an online book/tutorial or a real book to learn C?
C for Dummies - it's the book that started the whole "...for Dummies" empire, so it must have something going for it. I bought it.

Practical C programming by Steve Oualline. ISBN 1-56592-306-5. Out of print. Look in places like half.com, I bought mine for like five bucks.

Beginning C: From Novice to Professional, Fourth Edition by Ivor Horton. ISBN-10 (pbk): 1-59059-735-4. This one you can probably find in a bookstore.

Both books are very good. The second one is easier to follow but much thicker which means you would have to spend more time following . In addition, source code for PICs is good for education - look in Microchip application notes and on www.microchipc.com. Also, sparkfun releases code for some of their products (like serial LCD "backpack") - take a look at that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…