Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

C63918 - PNP transistor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex73

Hi!

Stumbled across this forum via googeling after this part.
I also already learned the lesson for adding 2S for japanese parts, so I successfully found 2SD1047/2SB817 :)
But I got stuck with "C6391" or "C63918" (not quite clear) There also is "PH 08" on the package just below the C number.
It's a three pin package like BC547 but beeing a bit longer with the "black part".
It died in a Proton power amp, where it sticks quite close to a 1E resistor and the power transistors, when one channel got killed by shortening speaker cables.
Anyone got an idea with what to replace this?

cheers
A.

alex73 said:
Hi!

Stumbled across this forum via googeling after this part.
I also already learned the lesson for adding 2S for japanese parts, so I successfully found 2SD1047/2SB817 :)
But I got stuck with "C6391" or "C63918" (not quite clear) There also is "PH 08" on the package just below the C number.
It's a three pin package like BC547 but beeing a bit longer with the "black part".
It died in a Proton power amp, where it sticks quite close to a 1E resistor and the power transistors, when one channel got killed by shortening speaker cables.
Anyone got an idea with what to replace this?

I would suggest you draw out the circuit, unless you've already got it?. Then you can decide what the transistor does, and what would be a suitable replacement.

I would disagree.
First of all he wrote C6391 or C63918 - You can't just ignore the 1 and/or 8...
He also states it beeing an enhanced TO-92 package ("It's a three pin package like BC547 but beeing a bit longer with the "black part")
while the BC639 comes in a normal TO-92.
Philips also never drops the 'B'. They would just put BC639 on it.

The 'longer' TO-92 packages are encountered often in japanese designs, and since a 2SC6391 actually exists i believe it to be japanese indeed.
Don't have a datasheet tho :(

I think Nigel's way is the only option - Figuring out what it does and then picking a suitable replacement.

Philips also never drops the 'B'

I disagree.

I have plenty

BF245 marked F245

BC264 marked C264

BSR52 marked SR52

BF450 marked F450

From here

**broken link removed**

you can read this :

Table 5: Marking codes
Type number Marking code
BC639 C639
BC639-10 C63910
BC639-16 C63916
BCP56 BCP56
BCP56-10 BCP56/10
BCP56-16 BCP56/16
BCX56 BH
BCX56-10 BK
BCX56-16 BL

I agree with Exo, I've never seen European transistors with the first letter missing - although aProgrammer doesn't have his location filled in, so we don't know where he might be?. Presumably we can assume he's not in Europe though?.

aProgrammer said:
FYI, first missing B is a very common practice from philips.

I've been working in electronics for 34 years, I've never seen a Philips transistor (or any Pro-electron labelled one) with the first letter missing?.

As the first letter identifies the material it's made from, it would be silly to leave it off - whereas the Japanese transistors all start '2S', so it doesn't require it at all.

aProgrammer said:
C6391" or "C63918" (not quite clear) There also is "PH 08

It's a BC639 by phillips (PH).

Nigel Goodwin said:
I would suggest you draw out the circuit

OK. So first of all many thanx for your help and ideas. After all I made it to draw the outline of the relevant parts and ... tara ... found a BC640 on the PNP power part of the amp. So I decided to trust aProgrammer and replaced it by a BC639 by Philips. This seems to work fine up to now.

cheers
Alex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back