Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cad electronics software

Status
Not open for further replies.

madraul

Hi there!
It's been seven years since I finished my studies in electronics and so many things have changed ever since.
At that time I used to design my prototypes using OrCad 4.1 (or similar version).
Nowadays I see there are so many software solutions to develope eschematics and PCBs, some of them so very expensive to me as I would like to resume my electronical activities as a hobbye.
I checked out an open source CAD software called gEda (**broken link removed**, which seems to be a powerfull tool for testing and designing electrical projects, but didn't have too much time to test it deeply.
Do you know gEda? what is your opinion about it? Do you know any other free tools worth cheking?
Thanks in advance!

Is there a Windows version? Or are you tring to avoid Windows?

EDIT: LTSpice, Eagle CAD are two I like. There are many others as well.

I have been using Eagle for a few years. As a hobbyist, I am very happy with it.

I have also started using LTSpice recently. It is a freeware. It is interesting to play around with it to verify the citcuits before you start to solder them up.

Are you using WINE? Also how does it run speed wise? I am thinking BSD after XP expires.. But Linux is OK as well.

Hi mramos1,
I'm using ubuntu (debian). All you need to do is download eagle from

Click on
eagle-lin-eng-4.16r2.tgz
run..
tar xzf eagle-lin-eng-4.16r2.tgz
eagle-lin-eng-4.16r2/install
That's all.

madraul said:
Hi mramos1,
I'm using ubuntu (debian). All you need to do is download eagle from

Click on
eagle-lin-eng-4.16r2.tgz
run..
tar xzf eagle-lin-eng-4.16r2.tgz
eagle-lin-eng-4.16r2/install
That's all.
The problem is, that is only one of many programs I use that are windows programs. Why I asked about WINE. Also, on my BSD machines I have no mouse to click :) I use bash. What GUI are you running?

Last edited:
philba said:
you guys are talking past each other - there is a linux version of eagle.

No I caught that, but I use more that Eagle and it is Winbloze software.

So I have to keep a Windows machine to run all that stuff. Trapped in Windoze.

finally, some one figured out that I'm el hombre de la Mancha. o es quizá campo de criptana, amigo.

philba said:
finally, some one figured out that I'm el hombre de la Mancha. o es quizá campo de criptana, amigo.

I from here on will refer to you as Philba or Don Q.. Senor Don Q.

philba said:

Your spanish is perfect. Your Knoledge of Don Quijote even better.
Saludos!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back