CAL 9900 PID Temperature controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonelga

Hi has anyone experience of the CAL 9900 PID temperature controller?

I've got an old 7kw pottery kiln operated by a kiln sitter. The contactor has just packed up and I thought I might take the opportunity to upgrade the kiln using a PID CAL 9900 (which I already have) and SSR'S instead of a contactor.

The kiln temperature needs to rise slowly from ambient temp to around 400C in 5 hours and then from there to 1260C in about 3 hours, where I would like to hold that temperature for say 10 minutes then have the power switch off and allow the kiln to cool to ambient temp without further control.

The problem is I know nothing about programming the PID CAL 9900 or whether it is suitable for this task. I know some PID Temperature controllers have Ramp and Soak facilities but the kiln is too old to spend much money on it.
The easy solution is of course to just install another contactor.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated - thanks

You need a more capable controller for that. You can buy controllers that can control ramps, or you can have a controller where the set temperature can be remotely adjusted. The CAL 9900 doesn't seem to be able to do either.

If you have a controller where the temperature can be set remotely, you could use a computer or microcontroller to do that.

CAL 990 PID Temperature controller

Thanks for that Diver300. Looks like plan 'B' then, a new contactor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…