Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can 2 different voltages use the same switched ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

strokedmaro

Please take a look at the attachment Ive drawn up and tell me if its possible. I could use voltage regulators but this would be easier. I also know there would need to be more inputs to the segment driver....just want to know if this would be safe or even possible. THANKS!!!

Attachments

• question.JPG
    question.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 196
nobody? Maybe you need more info :) Normal operation: solenoid has 12vdc on it constantly and is controlled by a switched ground supplied by a computer. I basically want to tap into that circuit using a lesser voltage (compatible with the hardware I currently have) to display a digit based on the combination of several solenoids. I know the 4511 is able to operate up to 18vdc but the logic used to make the correct inputs to the 4511 (again, what I have here and by the way not shown in the drawing) is 5.5vdc max. Any help appreciated! :D

strokedmaro said:
Please take a look at the attachment Ive drawn up and tell me if its possible. I could use voltage regulators but this would be easier. I also know there would need to be more inputs to the segment driver....just want to know if this would be safe or even possible. THANKS!!!

It is possible, and it can be made safe...

But your circuit is not safe (for the 4511 :D ) because it has no protection against the inductive spikes that the solenoid generates.

You must add protection to the IC from voltages that go outside of the [ground --- +V] range.

One possibility is to add a series resistor (may be 10K:eek:hm: as the 4511's inputs are high impedance) and a couple of diodes (1N4148) to +V and Gnd.

Attachments

• question.JPG
    question.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 183
Update

After getting this circuit up and running on the breadboard I feel I really over complicated it for this application. Ive decided to just use a few LED's instead of the digit (although it was fun to get it to working :D ) Just a few questions. Ive attached a new diagram with the proposed LED setup and was wondering if diode "d1" would work or if its even necessary with an LED. Would I also have to protect it against the inductance of the solenoid turning off? Thanks for any help!!!

Attachments

• LED.JPG
    LED.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Well, my brain wasn't in it for a second there...It was originally there when I was going to use a lower voltage (5vdc) as shown in the first diagram that started the thread. D1 was supposed to prevent the 12vdc from reaching the logic (5vdc) that would drive the 4511. I wasn't thinking when I modified it with the led which now uses 12 volts anyway. Is there any need to protect the LED from the inductance mentioned by ecerfoglio in the post above or will it operate fine as is? THANKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back