Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can a Foster Seeley FM detector work if one of its diodes breaks down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

genxium

As the attachment shows, it's a simplified model of Foster-Seeley detector, just use for this discussion, if there's anything wrong with this figure, please point it out , I'll correct it as soon as possible.

if the detector works just as expected, the output voltage should be Vout=K(|Va|-|Vb|) where Va=V1+V2/2, Vb=V1-V2/2, and the phase difference between V1 and V2 is determined by the frequency f of received wave, roughly when f=f0, Vout=0, f>f0, Vout>0 and f<f0, Vout<0.

My question is, if D2 breaks down for some reason, does the detector work? Say it doesn't work well as usual, but once it still outputs a voltage around a reference voltage, may I say it's also working as a detector? I think even Vb is absent, if f=f0, Vout is Vref as a reference, and f>f0 Vout>Vref , f<f0 Vout<Vref, is this OK? Like...the shape of the envelope remains similar to normal status?

Attachments

• Foster Seeley.JPG
    Foster Seeley.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 176
Try running a simulation in LTSpice.

Try running a simulation in LTSpice.

Thanks a lot for the reply~ Actually I ran the simulation on Multisim last night for a simple BFSK signal, but the resonant part(the LC tank) doesn't work well as expected(like when f!=f0, it's not a symmetric characteristic on each side), besides I can't distinguish the likelyhood between curves by my eyes >_< So, I still want to wait for a theoretical answer ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back