Can a PIC sing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
3v0 said:
It may be based on a 18 pin PIC. Has the same power and crystal/osc locations on the chip. Not proof, but interesting.

I looked at the datasheet and schematic, the 18F1320 is a perfect fit pinwise right down to the PWM output.

blueroomelectronics said:
I looked at the datasheet and schematic, the 18F1320 is a perfect fit pinwise right down to the PWM output.
That's because it IS a 18F1320.

Quote from speechchips.com: "The Soundgin is an 18-Pin Microchip PIC18F1320 that has been programmed to generate complex sounds by incorporating six oscillators which can interact with each other in various ways."

It was an Arduino.

audioguru said:
I demonstrated that a PIC can't sing worth a damn.
Do you think a PIC can play a simple melody in tune?

Unless I missed somthing all you did was point out one bad example. I know you can do better then that on a PIC.

3v0 said:
Unless I missed somthing all you did was point out one bad example. I know you can do better then that on a PIC.
The singing is the only example that I have heard and it is awful. The melody is also awful.
They are both on a new blog at Electronics-Lab.

Given that you have interupts turned off the PIC can produce correct frequencies.
The tempo, choosing the right note, and the duration of the notes are all in the programming.

Using the PICs timers make the process easier but you can do it with integer math.

A few weeks ago I asked about computer musical notation and Torben (thank you) pointed me to a wikipedia article with a table of notes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_pitch_notation
Using that it was very easy. It still sounds like a computer making notes (no attack or decay etc) but it does the job.

If PICs could not do this simple timing based task they could not do serial communication.

Still gotta say...
the dsPIC series is WAY better at this. I mean you can easily interface a codec (DAC/ADC combo) capable of 48KHz 16-bit stereo too. The 16-bit math is great, also the memory is NOT paged which is hella nice to work with.

It's addictive. You start to think about guitar effects, voice changers, noise cancellation, voice recognition, all the neat stuff.

I agree 100%. I have yet to use a PIC more powerful then the 18F series. But I am looking forward to doing so. So much to do so little time....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…