Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I ask for help about relays? (5V-12V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessa1216

I just want to ask how can i make a relay for my electromagnetic lock which operates using 12V source by providing 5V source only using a signal from PIC16F84A microcontroller. Thank you very much in advance.

This one will be a very big help in my project. :)

I just want to ask how can i make a relay for my electromagnetic lock which operates using 12V source by providing 5V source only using a signal from PIC16F84A microcontroller. Thank you very much in advance.

This one will be a very big help in my project. :)

sorry, wrong way of asking the question.

https://www.rev-ed.co.uk/docs/picaxe_manual3.pdf PICAXE is just a PIC with some built-in software.
Look at page 7. "pin" is from yuor PIC'c output. Either a transistor/resistor (first example) or a logic-level power MOSFET (second example) will work. For your circuit, the +5V or +6v shown in the examples would be +12V. Don't forget the diode across the relay's coil.

Ken

Well, the Picaxe manual is wrong (again). The IRF530 part is not a logic level device so it will only partially turn on at 5 volts. It needs more than the PIC can provide to fully turn on. An IRL520 is a logic level part made to work with things like PICs. Note that it will only handle 9 amps as opposed to the 14 for the 530 part if you could turn it on.

If your lock solenoid consumes less than 9 amps, you won't need a relay. Let the MOSFET switch it on and off.

Well, the Picaxe manual is wrong (again).
Right you are. The circuits were all that I was referencing to...as I had no spec's on the OP's relay or solenoid except 12V.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back