Can I get your opinion on a degree program?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys its been a while since I posted on here, but I graduated from my career diploma ET program, and now I want an actual degree. The program I am looking at is 256 lessons, 103 credit hours, and looks to be extremely in depth. Its an AAS degree, and I love the look of the program. If you can give me your expert opinion I'd be appreciative. Here is the link **broken link removed** Thanks for any help, advice, whatever.

Do you intend for the AAS to be your terminal degree or do you plan to go further?

If you plan to go further, have you considered a school for that? How many credits from CIE would be transferable to the other school to satisfy its degree requirements?

As a rough calculation, each lesson is calculated as approximately 6 hours work, maybe as much as 18 hours. That is a lot of time for something that may not count for much credit, if you are planning to get a Bachelors degree eventually.

John

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, and help, John. The first thing I would say is I don't plan to go further into a BS degree, but if I did they have a BS degree through a subsidiary college. Link is here **broken link removed** Thanks again for the help.

The part of your comment to which I am responding is, "but if I did they have a BS degree through a subsidiary college." You will never regret getting that BS or BA/AB degree. Regardless of how competent you are, not having that degree can be a serious impediment to advancing in a job. Of course, you hear lots of talk about merit based systems. The problem is in the implementation of such systems while complying with every increasing regulations against discrimination. I have seen extremely competent people frozen in lower paying jobs because they didn't have the paper credentials for a higher paying position, even though they were fully competent to do those jobs.

On-line schools and for profit schools are becoming quite popular, such as University of Phoenix. In the early days, for-profit schools earned the stigma of being diploma mills. Although, there are now many reputable for-profit schools, some of that stigma still exists when you go to look for employment. It is dying out fairly quickly, and in fact, some major universities (e.g., CWRU) encourage a great deal of at-home, on-line learning. I have little doubt that you won't get a good education at CIE.

One of the problems in assessing a job candidate who has a degree from a for-profit school versus one from a not-for-profit school is to assess what the competition was like at his school. With established public and private universities, one has a better understanding of what the competition was like and may feel, rightly or wrongly, that he can assess the candidate's performance accordingly.

So, in brief, the stigma of getting a degree from a for-profit is quickly dying out, but there still remains the problem of assessing comparative performance.

For you, that means you may have a little more trouble getting your foot in the door of your first potential employer -- particularly one not familiar with schools in Northeastern Ohio.

Ohio in general and Cleveland/Akron specifically have a lot of public, tax-supported colleges and universities. You may want to do a cost estimate for Cleveland State, U. Akron, and other convenient schools compared to the cost for an AAS + BS at CIE and its affiliate.

Regards,

John

BTW, I assumed you are in the Cleveland area. If not, just substitute similar universities in your vicinity.

Last edited:
To do, and complete, a distance learning course takes great deal of self-discipline and dedication. Most of the manuals end up on a shelf, like the bridesmaid, but never the bride! (my own experience (not the bride part)).
I do not mean to appear negative, but I bought a Slide Rule course from CIE in 1967, excellent course, but I never completed it (I still have it, any takers?). E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…