Can I use a regular LED instead of a FLED for a Solar Engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krumlink

Is it possible to use a regular LED instead of a FLED? FLED (Flashing LED)'s are somthing I dont have on hand, and I have about 500 RED leds on hand, so I want to use those. thanks.

I am using this circuit:
**broken link removed**

I am going to bread board it in a moment here.

You should read the circuit descriptions on solarbotics.net...

The solar panel doesn't produce enough power to drive the motor directly. The FLED is used as an on/off switch. When it's off, the capacitor charges up to the point where the FLED turns on, which also switch the transitor, and the motor... The motor only turns in short bursts.

A regular LED will be on all the time, so you will be using more then you can store in the capacitor, motor won't turn because the panel can't provide that much current all at once...

No, I am going to replace the Motor with a LED with the cathode at the 2N3904's emitter. I was going to use a higher turn on voltage LED (green) where the FLED is, so it would become a pummer.

I have been looking for a schematic for a Solar Pummer. A solar pummer is a circuit that is run on a solar panel, and charges it's capacitors for its light. It then discharges through it's LED and it Fades away and waits for the next time the Capacitor Charges. I have seen the Inverter style, but I wanted to do it with this schematic above. I am going to pick up a FLED tomorrow at Radiocrap, but I was wondering if this will work as how I will describe it:

The Caps charge (small amount, 3000uf) and then discharges through the solar engine. In place of the Motor, a LED (red, 1.8Vfwd) will light up instead of the motor turning on. This solar engine would have normally been used for a Symmet, but I am so crazy that I was going to use it for a Pummer! BUWHAHAHAHAHAH!

Probably simpler and cheaper just to build the pummer. I've built several, not so bad. If I find the PCB pattern on my computer, I'll post it. I've got one hooked up to a 5 watt white LED. Not sure if it gets the 700 mAs, but its very bright. Spent some time trying to figure out how to get RGB from one 74HC240, but don't think it can be done.

Anyway, the key to the bright flash and fade is in the way the LED, capacitor, and resistor are hooked up.

What will I need for the pummer?

I am going to try the FLED tomorrow.

Instead of the 74HC240, can I use a hex inverter without schmitt triggers?

How would I go about making a 74HC240 pummer?

Last edited:
MAKE did an article on the pummer, nice PDF on how to build and how it works. Shouldn't be hard to find. Solarbotics.net is the place to find more information.

A different site, Solarbotics.com, is a store, but they have online documentation for the kits they sell. These contain schematics, construction details, and lots of information about the circuits. Look for Quad pummer, it goes into why the 74hc240 works...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…