Can some kind of LC circuit conduct constant AC current ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The OP asked for a passive circuit consisting of Ls and Cs to provide a constant current to a load. The examples in Steinmetz's book give an answer.

Since the load current is only 15 mA, a relatively small inductor of about 25 henries is not totally out of the question. However, such an inductor would have to be wound with a lot of turns of little wire and the losses would be considerable.

The OP never did reveal his purpose. Maybe it was just an academic exercise. As a practical matter some other technique that might be a little lossy would probably do.

Hello again,

Yes even my transformer times 2 circuit isnt as practical as i would like it to be. The upper transformer ratio has to be high enough to get good regulation, which puts it probably around a 1:50 ratio or better. That means we might need to use a 240vac transformer with 5vac output, backwards, and maybe a means to protect the 5v winding from overcurrent. So i figure it would be best for light currents only.

1 - Constant Voltage, Current, and Power: A Circuit for All Reasons - Derek A. Paice - IEEE Transactionson industrial Electronics and Control Instrumentation , Vol. IECI - 25, NO. 1, FEB. 1978 - pg 55.
2 - The Derivation and Application of Design Equations for Ferroresonant Voltage Regulators and Regulated Rectifiers. - Harry P. Hart and Robert J. Kakalec. - IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. MAG-7, NO. 1, March 1971.
3 - Standard Handbook for Electrical Eng. - Fink and Beatu - pg. 10-106 to 10-109.
4 - The Geometry of Regulating Transformers - Nathan R. Grossner - IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. MAG-14, NO. 2, March 1978.

The first one shows how the same circuit may be used as Constant voltage, current or Power.
The second has some useful informations.
MOR_AL

Hello there,

About your third reference there #3, what edition was that? Was that an old edition perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…