Can somebody recommend to me a cheap basic Microcontroller for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EasternTIGERS

Hi everyone, okay Ive learnt as much as I can on paper about Arduino and Microcontrollers, I feel I just need to buy one and play with it as all the reading I done needs to be put to good use. I want an Arduino or microcontroller to plug into my USB in the computer and I want to make it do things like light up an LED when Im typing something on my keyboard, or if I can hook a motor to it and control it from the computer, is this kind of project too advanced for me yet? Mabie im running before I walk I dont know. I seen some cool videos on youtube about microcontrollers and they were doing cool things such as controlling motors and LED lights from the computer VIA USB port. So I live in the UK, where is good place and what kind of Microcontroller will do this trick for me?

arduino + arduino IDE(arduino.cc, it's free) and processing(also free)
they are both programmed, in a pseudo-C language, i advise you to download processing, and start playing with it, it's fun, it can receive input from the mouse, computer keys, etc, and send it over the usb port, to your arduino for example, it's easy to create GUI, and stuff.
it's completely free.
the arduino is great fun, when i got mine i didn't understand any of the programming, but in a few days i had done some basic things.
to control motors though, you can't just connect the motors to the arduino pins, it will burn them, they cant provide enough current, start by playing with LEDs, 7 segment displays, and maybe even LCD's, cheap, but quite cool, grab some servos too if you like.
You are right, you have to walk before you can run, but if you run fast, doesn't take much effort to start running...
if you get the LED blinking, anything is possible, if you practice programming.

you can all that with a PIC with the MPASM assembler (which is free). But the downside is that you need to learn the hardware and the software part, and also buy a programmer.

Last edited:
Great message Amando, I see they are different kinds of Arduino, this is where im confused which one will be the most suitable one for me do you think? Just to light LED up and Servo Motors

Great message Amando, I see they are different kinds of Arduino, this is where im confused which one will be the most suitable one for me do you think? Just to light LED up and Servo Motors

Arduino isn't a micro-controller, it's a development system, based on an AVR.

If you've already studied the Arduino system then that's the obvious way to go, although the MicroChip PIC is far more popular than the AVR. Either will do the job, but if you've got previous knowledge, then go for that.

Might try this website...

Arduino : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

Haven't ordered anything, nor use Arduino. I do use AVR microcontrollers though. Posted the link, because most everything is open source, you can download everything you need to build your own, free, which I have twice. Don't know about PIC, but I have driven servo motors directly from an AVR pin. Imagine it's not going to make any difference, since you are only sending it a control signal...

But it's a great site to look through, and has most everything you might need for Arduino, prices seem fair if you buy. Still too much, you can etch your own boards...

If BASIC is what you like to program in by far the nicest I've ever used is Swordfish BASIC for the PIC 18F series. The full version has hardware USB support.

TV BE Gone

Cool trick. I think this just turns the TV off. Looks like a funny project I wonder if I could do this to a Mac Monitor?

I had one of my Techs put in a Bluetooth on my Keyboard and he was controlling my mouse from his pocket. I told him I would never forget it and to expect something in return. hahahahahah

I built that one, sort of... I didn't like the PCB, made it smaller by getting rid of a few things not needed. Wish I could program in 'C', would have like it to just run though the codes continuously when a powered on. Would make it simpler to use in a store, as you walk by. There is enough of a delay, TVs don't come back on right away. Was pretty cool, only actually had to buy the AVR chip.

you can all that with a PIC with the MPASM assembler (which is free). But the downside is that you need to learn the hardware and the software part, and also buy a programmer.

There are loads of PIC programmer vendors.

My amplifiers are full of PIC's for DC protect, bargraph driver and clip LED drivers.
The PIC is just so cheap, small and versatile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…