Can you explain this anode driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spadez

Hi,

This is the schematic im looking at:

**broken link removed**

There are several key parts of the circuit I dont understand, so I thought I would start with the anode driver, seen bottom right. I know what a transistor does and I know what a resistor does, but in this circuit I cant really work out what is going on with the anode.

Can someone explain it in lamens terms?

Last edited:

hi,
Nixie counter tubes require a high voltage on the Anodes.
In this circuit they would have been vacuum tubes/valves, each valve would have been switched on sequentially and would connect +200V to each Nixie counter Anode.

In a modern circuit this could be done using high voltage working transistors or MOS FET's.

OK.?

Look at this:
http://www.dos4ever.com/nixie1/nixie1.html

Last edited:
Ok, that helps. Two things though. How does the anode driver work and how is the anode driver block orientated in related to it's circuit connections? (which wires go where?)

Ok, that helps. Two things though. How does the anode driver work and how is the anode driver block orientated in related to it's circuit connections? (which wires go where?)

I would make the circuit as shown in Fig #3 of the link I posted.

The control pin on the PIC would drive the base of the lower transistor as shown in Fig #3, when the PIC pin goes to +5V hi, the Anode circuit would connect the 180/200V to the Nixie tube anode.

Last edited:
This may be an extremely basic question, but why isnt one just one transistor needed, instead of two? The way I see it, the base of the single transistor could still be driven by the pic, which would allow it to turn on the 180V.

Im guessing its something to do with making a complete circuit, there would be no drain that way?

Edit: Thank you for the help

Last edited:
Eric, a similar circuit is in the lower right side of the schematic posted by the OP. I think you missed it.

Eric, a similar circuit is in the lower right side of the schematic posted by the OP. I think you missed it.

Thanks Ron, I now see it, bottom right on his posted circuit.

hi spadez,

I would use the two transistor version as shown in the original design.
When the PIC output is low [0v] both transistors are off, not conducting.

Sorry, another post. Im a bit confused about the orientation of the anode driver. Which wires on the anode driver pictures bottom right go to which wires on anode driver pictures top middle.

Sorry, another post. Im a bit confused about the orientation of the anode driver. Which wires on the anode driver pictures bottom right go to which wires on anode driver pictures top middle.

hi
Look at this clip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…