Can you help a clueless art student?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'm the art student mentioned above, and when it comes to all things electrical I'm fairly clueless. I'm currently building a shed type thing which will house a sound installation, the only problem is I only want the sound to start playing when you enter the shed, and ideally stop when you leave. I'd probably be using a cd player, but I could use something else...and if possible it'd be good I could connect a surround sound system to it. Any Ideas? Will it be expensive?
Cheers,
Alice, Edinburgh

hi,
A PIR would do that, use the relay output that is normally used to switch on an external light to switch on the CD player instead.
Set the daylight setting to always enabled and the timeout to say 15seconds.

Do you follow that OK.?

Google for: PIR Sensors

Look here:
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
This is essentially a light switch that detects people...except, instead of wiring it between power and a light socket, you wire it between power and your CD player. But, at the apparent level of your electrical knowledge, I would strongly suggest you find someone local who can connect it up for you. Power wiring can be lethal...you shouldn't have to die for your art.

This is assuming that the CD player will play as soon as you plug it into a wall outlet. Otherwise we are talking something a little more complicated...something to turn the speaker (external) on and off, with the CD player continuous running.

Ken

Alice,

Do you have a CD player in mind? Will it run (play a selection) as soon as it's plugged in...without pushing buttons? This will determine whether you will need anything beyond the motion detector switches that Eric and I have pointed to.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…