Can you help me critique this double "OR" relay circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JedOs

FV is a +5v node
D8 allows RLY3 to act as an OR sensor; it allows RLY3 to use both transistors to turn on.
Because of D8, D3 needs to be put in place in order to make LED1D4 turn on when Q4 is saturated.
I am still unsure which type of signal diode to use for D8 and D3. They need to be low foward voltage drop, low power dissipation, and handle around 400mA or more. Thanks in advanced
**broken link removed**

Hmmmmmmmmm. Does it work as you intended or is there some problem? Is the 1N5282 a Schottky diode?

Last edited:
My simulator, Circuit Maker 2000 Pro, says it works. I am not sure of the class of the 1N5282. I just picked it for the sim because it has the appropriate characteristics.

i don't know where you got this circuit from but just about any diode will work.
circuit shows 1N5282 which is just small signal diode. relays are not precise devices
.5V more or less is not going to change much. if you are still concerned with
voltage drop just get rid of D3 and D8 and add pair of transistors and base resistors.
also if the input is TTL compatible source, base resistors are on the high side
which means transistors will not be saturated. and why do you need two transistors
and two relays anyway if both relays will be on all the time? i hope you know that
there are relays with multiple contacts for example so just one relay will do.

I made this circuit myself. Actually the relays that are shown are of the wrong type. CM 2000, only comes with SPDT premade relays. The actual relays are of a SPST for RLY3 and DPDT for RLY4. The 10k resistors are sourced to two 25 mA pin outputs on a PIC.
RLY3 (SPST) turns on only if Q3 OR Q4 is saturated
RLY4 (DPDT) allows to reverse the voltage
Basically the circuit allows for the follwing ON(REVERSE)/ON(FOWARD)/OFF .
Relay outputs are attached to a motor

*CORRECTION* RLY3 output is to the PWM ON/OFF control. RLY4 output is directly to a motor.

What is this supposed to do?

I could figure it out but I don't have time to. I'm sure there's a simpler way of doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…