Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can you power a Laptop screen with the battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobdolebananas

My goal is to create a portable LCD screen and eventually I will want hook ups for other things. But I want to know if I buy just a LCD screen for a laptop and a battery for a laptop if it will run. In theory it sounds good I just don't know a whole lot about laptops and can't find anything about it out there so.

I wouldn't think it would be easy. You need to drive the LCD somehow, with a GPU for example.

If you had an OLD laptop, and your question was "Can I hack it to use the screen?", the answer would be yes.

Basically I want to use it as a portable LCD screen for electronics that don't require much power for instance old gaming consoles and a dvd player, I also want the battery to be rechargeable which is why I aim for the Laptop battery.

I've done a bit of googling for you, and from what I've read, it's probably more trouble than it's worth. Mainly due to the unusual voltage for internal signal levels used in the laptop display.

You're probably better off searching for a portable LCD TV with the usual composite/component/S-video inputs. If it was designed for 12V in a car, then you could quite easily make something up with a rechargeable battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back