Cannot find correct size heat sink, please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pentagon

I'm brand new to electronics, but I am buying parts to try building a project. I need a heat sink for the amplifier that is approx. 95mm in length by 30mm in height. Does anyone know where I can find something of this size?

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Does it have to be that size to fit in a project box? I have built my own using alum. angle and alum. extrusions. Most large hardware stores carry many different types of aluminum extrusions.

Not as space efficient as a real heat sink, but alot cheaper.
sam

Your illustration seems to be nothing more than a connection panel. Why do you need a heatsink on it?

Usually, heatsinks are attached to a transistor, regulator or other discrete element that tends to running hot, and the size would be dictated by the size of that element.

The bigger the heatsink, the better.

The more surface area exposed to air will allowe for better heat dissipation of the power stages of an amplifier and these devices will run cooler.

If space is a problem, allowe for forced cooling over the heatsink by means of a small fan.

It looks like a stereo amplifier IC. Since it has only plus and minus 12V for its supply, the max peak-to-peak voltage across each speaker is about 20V, which is 7V RMS, which produces only about 6.2W in each 8 ohm speaker.

At continuous full output in both channels, the IC will heat with about 10W which doesn't need a huge heatsink.

Do you play your amplifier continuously at full output?

It's TDA8560Q from Philips Semiconductors, I would use it at full power for an hour or two at a time maybe.

You have a 24V total supply voltage. The TDA8560Q is supposed to operate from a car's 13.8V battery. Its absolute max supply voltage is 18V. You will fry it with 24V.

It is not supposed to drive a transformer.
Why do you have a transformer at each output?
Why does it operate continuously?

Here is the full schematic for the project.

**broken link removed**

What do you think now?

Thanks!

You did not attach a schematic. You attached a wiring diagram. A schematic would show all parts including all parts of the power supply.

Why is a stereo audio amplifier feeding 240V power supply stepup transformers?

audioguru said:
You did not attach a schematic. You attached a wiring diagram. A schematic would show all parts including all parts of the power supply.

Why is a stereo audio amplifier feeding 240V power supply stepup transformers?

Sorry, I'm new to this. I really don't know the answer to your question... I would have to ask the designer. Is this setup wrong or cumbersome or something?

thanks

It is for zapping people? Why???
I know that very kinky people like weird things but I didn't know they like to be electrocuted. There is plenty of voltage and power at the output for electrocution. It is dangerous.

It looks like the power supply has 15VAC input which makes rectified and filtered 20VDC which is too high for the TDA8560Q audio amp IC. Then the inductive spikes from the output transformers will probably destroy the output transistors in the IC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…