Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cant get IR receiver working correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaneshane1

I've set up this IR receiver using a TV remote as the transmitter, the pins on the receiver are as follows [3]input [2]ground [1]output.

here is the datasheet for the receiver

And the (PNP) transistor pins are [E] [C]

The receiver's output is high and goes low when there is a signal.

The low output then triggers the Base of the (PNP) transistor which in turn lights the LED.

Now everything seems to be working,but when there is no signal the receiver's output is random and the LED just seems to flash or stay on randomly?

Can anyone see what is wrong?

Also the datasheet for the 7805 says to use a 0.33uF (Cl) and 0.1uF (C0) is this correct on the schematic as i don't really understand what Cl and CO stand for!

I am aware that the schematic is poor, and i am very ashamed of myself :p

Attachments

• receiver.PNG
    receiver.PNG
    3.4 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
shaneshane1 said:
Also the datasheet for the 7805 says to use a 0.33uF (Cl) and 0.1uF (C0) is this correct on the schematic as i don't really understand what Cl and CO stand for!

Hi shane,
The two caps are to prevent the 7805 from oscillating.
This could happen in some versions of the 780X regulators.

The caps should be located as close as possible to the 7805.

Is that a switch, shown on the drawing, in the output of the IR receiver.?

ericgibbs said:
Hi shane,
The two caps are to prevent the 7805 from oscillating.
This could happen in some versions of the 780X regulators.

The caps should be located as close as possible to the 7805.

Is that a switch, shown on the drawing, in the output of the IR receiver.?

No sorry i will correct that, its not a switch it was meant to represent the high/low from the receiver,s output ill correct it now.

Also what does Cl AND CO mean anyway?

shaneshane1 said:
No sorry i will correct that, its not a switch it was meant to represent the high/low from the receiver,s output ill correct it now.

Also what does Cl AND CO mean anyway?

"Capacitor In(put)" and "Capacitor Out(put)?"

John

Nigel Goodwin said:
You've also missed out the required decoupling components for the IR receiver, check my IR tutorial hardware.

On to it now!

jpanhalt said:
"Capacitor In(put)" and "Capacitor Out(put)?"

John

thanks, i though as much, just wasn't 100% sure :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back