Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor based power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dadwhiskers

I know little about circuit design, but can build them. Maybe this would be a good challenge for someone.

What I need is a power supply circuit with a 12 volt output that will run a laptop for several (many ?) hours off of any reasonable number of large (liter or so size) capacitors. The reason is that I need a power supply that recharges very quickly and is easy to carry by hand on mountain trails to get it charged - assuming such a power supply would be light enough (40 pounds or less) to be portable. Additional circuits running off the 12 v. circuit to supply both 5 v. and 3.7 v., both at 500 miliamperes would be nice too, though I could probably find those somewhere to easily incorporate.

I know the dangers of large capacitors and can deal with that with a plastic box. I'm a practicing coward, and am not about to short myself across the leads :cool:

Can somebody help? If you put a solution here, email me at:

patiakaladurga@gmail.co.in

and I can come out of the mountains here in India and check the site. Emailing the circuit diagram will not work, as the email is retrieved over a cell phone.

Thanks ! !

Sorry, but silly idea!.

Capacitors of similar capacity to a battery would take just as long to charge, and would be a great many times the size of the battery.

40 pounds? If your weight limit is that high you could carry a couple sealed lead acid battery and build a high current DC-DC converter. Like Nigel said, capacitors are just not a good idea, their power density is absolutly horrible, something that would power a laptop for any decent amount of time would be the size of a small car.

pound for pound, batteries still put capacitors to shame.

If your weight limit is that high, and you really need instant charge capabilities might i suggest a portable generator? very small ones might fit in you weight limit and provide even more power density (when you include fuel) than batteries. "charging" a generator is as fast as pouring more fuel into it.

Apparently there is a mfg out there that makes a flexible solar panel stitched to a backpack for charging batteries on hikes. Seems like a much better way to go.

bryan, could you provide a link? It's really mean to say someone out there makes something without providing a link.

Just search solar panel backback on google.

I think this is the one I stumbled on before

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back