capacitor swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a colour TV for $59.00. It is name-brand but now they don't make it, they just import it from China like everyone else.
I don't expect anybody to fix it if it fails, if its warranty is still valid then the store will replace it then throw it away.

No they definately won't repair that, but its also not a $2000 or greater Big screen tv.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Might be like that in Canada, but in Europe boards mostly have to be repaired to component level.

And what's with the sudden 'capital letter' outburst?

I Like to use Capitals to Accent words.

And it works, it caught your attention.

I use bold type to accent words.
A moderator on another site said I was rude to use bold type.
I don't CAPITALIZE words which is rude.

crusty said:
What TV repair? that still exists?

Wow do you even know what you are talking about? Your basically saying that a TV Repair guy does not exist? Think it through?

Tants are expensive and high quality
Electrolyics are cheap and cincy (cheap)

audioguru said:
I use bold type to accent words.
A moderator on another site said I was rude to use bold type.
I don't CAPITALIZE words which is rude.

well.... i kinda misunderstood you in one of your posts you were reffering to me...so maybe the moderator was right why you don't underline them instead?

Replacement caps

No need to go for a double voltge ratings, but they should be first higher voltage compared to normal ELCO. You could easly salvage these caps of a old PC sound card or similar if you can't buy or get them otherwise. I don't suggeste using radial caps, it could be pain in the a.... to solider them on SMD PCB. And as about "no more TV servicing" HAHAHAHAHA (that is rude). The caps (tantalum ones) I'm talking about looks something like this
**broken link removed**

When I grew up in the 1950s, I learned to ride a bike on an old 26-incher, no fenders, no chain guard, no accessories of any kind, already been through three or four owners -- just a frame, handlebars, two balloon tires, pedals, chain and a coaster brake. That bike would go anywhere, including down hard with me on it. It ran through rocks, dirt, mud -- whatever was on the ground on the farm. It sat out in the weather. You couldn't make that thing not work aside from flat tires.

Later in life, there was the expensive 10-speed bike. There wasn't anything on that bike that didn't easily fail or required constant adjustment and attention. If it sat out in the rain, the brake and shifter cables got cranky if they weren't already. You never knew what gear you were in. The brakes didn't work as well as the old coaster brakes. Hit a bump and the tires went flat. And those skinny little tires let you feel every bump in the road as compared to those big, fat balloon tires. But it was fast and the hills were a lot easier to pedal.

The analogy is this: aluminum electrolytic capacitors are like that old balloon-tire bike .... reliable, gets you where you need to go, cheap. The caps are great for regular power supply filters, decoupling, bypass, etc. The tantalum caps are specialty caps like the 10-speed is a specialty bike. Absolutely wonderful for very certain things, such as timing caps or super-low ESR bypass caps in decoupling circuits. But they just aren't as reliable, especially when the circuit get a little rough with them. Not only do they tend to short, they often pop or explode. They don't like the least little bit of over-voltage or reverse voltage while the aluminum caps tolerate all kinds of abuse.

Dean

whiz115 said:
i thoughted that tantalums can't withstand high current...
High voltage not high current.

Current is only a problem in capacitors if you're talking about ripple current or you're using the capacitor fo DC blocking in a high power part of a circuit such as a crossover, on a speaker or a transmitter.

I don't know if the current rating for tantalums is lower than electrolytics, I doubt it because they have alower ESR, therefore the power dissipation will be lower.

i can't find the source i got that info... but from another site i found this "easily damaged by spikes"

**broken link removed**

probably means by high ripple current...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…