Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Car Adapter for Laptop-How to make?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill_activist

Does anyone have a schematic, or a resourse to help me make my own adapter to be able to use my laptop in my car?

I just bought a older, low cost Powerbook 3400c, and it didn't come with an adapter/charger. I'd like to use it in my car at times, play music on it, like a iPod for under $100.

The specs say it needs 24 volts 1.875 Amps, and my laptop says the same. The AC adapter specs say it's 45 W. <http://www.laptopacadapter.com/appleacadapters.htm>

Can anyone help me with a schematic or instructions to make an auto adapater for my laptop or tell me where I might find something like that?

**broken link removed**

Thanks,
Bill

Sorry. I gave an erroneous link. Just edited this post ......

Just found a good one.

**broken link removed**

Thanks David for your quick reply,

I realize I wasn't clear in what I was thinking and needing. My goal is to save money, and I know something about electronics.

I know I can buy a professionally manufactured power supply for around $40; such as
**broken link removed**

However, I suspect I could make something that doesn't look as nice, but is perfectly functional for $5 worth of parts and some soldering, if I could find some instructions.

I'm currently unemployed and want to save money.

thank,
Bill

Hi Bill,

Yes I know what you mean.

I Googled for "12Vdc to 24Vdc converter schematics", but non turned up.

But I can't believe there aren't any out there. A little perseverance should pay off.

Bill_activist said:
However, I suspect I could make something that doesn't look as nice, but is perfectly functional for $5 worth of parts and some soldering, if I could find some instructions.

Switch mode power supplies aren't really that simple, you would probably spend far more than buying one - particularly when you add up the large number of components destroyed during development!.

Switch mode supplies 'self destruct' VERY easily, it's not a job for the inexperienced!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back