Car Adapter for Laptop-How to make?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill_activist

Does anyone have a schematic, or a resourse to help me make my own adapter to be able to use my laptop in my car?

I just bought a older, low cost Powerbook 3400c, and it didn't come with an adapter/charger. I'd like to use it in my car at times, play music on it, like a iPod for under $100.

The specs say it needs 24 volts 1.875 Amps, and my laptop says the same. The AC adapter specs say it's 45 W. <http://www.laptopacadapter.com/appleacadapters.htm>

Can anyone help me with a schematic or instructions to make an auto adapater for my laptop or tell me where I might find something like that?

**broken link removed**

Thanks,
Bill

Thanks David for your quick reply,

I realize I wasn't clear in what I was thinking and needing. My goal is to save money, and I know something about electronics.

I know I can buy a professionally manufactured power supply for around $40; such as
**broken link removed**

However, I suspect I could make something that doesn't look as nice, but is perfectly functional for $5 worth of parts and some soldering, if I could find some instructions.

I'm currently unemployed and want to save money.

thank,
Bill

Hi Bill,

Yes I know what you mean.

I Googled for "12Vdc to 24Vdc converter schematics", but non turned up.

But I can't believe there aren't any out there. A little perseverance should pay off.

Bill_activist said:
However, I suspect I could make something that doesn't look as nice, but is perfectly functional for $5 worth of parts and some soldering, if I could find some instructions.

Switch mode power supplies aren't really that simple, you would probably spend far more than buying one - particularly when you add up the large number of components destroyed during development!.

Switch mode supplies 'self destruct' VERY easily, it's not a job for the inexperienced!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…