Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

car cigarette lighter polarity

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustinpruente

i am hooking up a cigarette lighter in my computer, and i need to know the polarity for the pins on the lighter module. i cant find these diagrams anywhere. it looks a little like this,

oo
o o
o p o
o o
oo

the p is the pin in the middle, and the o's are the other contact, it surrounds the lighter module.

pin in the center is +, outer sheild is -

You are going to power 12v items with your computer power supply?
be sure that you dont draw too many amps.

yeah, ive already abandoned the idea. by the way, what do burned up electronics smell like, i dont have too much experience with burn ups and i am just curious.

dustinpruente said:
yeah, ive already abandoned the idea. by the way, what do burned up electronics smell like, i dont have too much experience with burn ups and i am just curious.

You'll know it when you smell it. It aint pretty...Someone on here referred to it as the "You screwed up smell" :lol:

pin in the center is +, outer sheild is -

It Used to be that way, But a lot of Auto Manufacturers, now wire them in Reverse.

Contrary to the fact that Every cable I have ever seen is center Positive.

Doesnt make sense to switch it though.

jrz126 said:
Doesnt make sense to switch it though.

Who said it had to make sense?, but don't assume - always check!.

We get LOADS of customer who bring portable TV's back, they plug it in the car and the fuse blows - I ALWAYS tell them to bring the car down and I check it for them. This is how I know that many cars are wired centre negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back