Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

car dash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeep cj xj

1st of all I am an idiot as far as electronics goes , mechanical wise i can help my self , so if you have info pls PLS i need diagrams and step by step instructions

90% 0f Jeep spares need to be imported and our exchange rate doesnt help much if you have a limited budget

I have a Jeep XJ Cherokee rhd 2,5l petrol , the instrument cluster is sort of working so I would like to replace the dails with 7 segment led display cluster , I have been surfing the net for days and found nothing usefull , the jeep has a electronic dial speedometer ; heat gauge , fuel gauge , volt meter and a oil pressure gauge . I would like to ad a tachometer ( revcounter)

I want a simple clear layout

(1) 88,8 (2) 8888 (3) 888 (4) 88,8
volt RPM km/h Fuel
(3a)8888,8
(5) 888 trip meter (6) 888
heat (3b) 888888 oil pres
odometer

1,4,5,6 +/-15mm -5/8inch
2,3 +/- 25mm- 1inch
3a,3b 6 to 10mm - 1/4 to 3/8inch

must be able to reset trip meter and odometer must have some memory as to keep reading of distance covered and if battery gets disconnected or run flat

1 - Is it do-able meaning can someone with little electronic knowlage do it
2 - Is it a reasonable economical
3 - IF it is do-able can you PLS help me

I know i can buy the gauges but what is the fun in that

If you did not build it it aint a JEEP

It is a JEEP thing you wont understand

PLS help
Thanks

gerhard.koen@gmail.com

I found a start for the dash
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Sounds like a very advanced project for someone with little knowledge in electronics.

I think microcontrollers and programming knowledge are going to be a must to get it working the way you want.

Andy1845c said:
Sounds like a very advanced project for someone with little knowledge in electronics.

I think microcontrollers and programming knowledge are going to be a must to get it working the way you want.

Unfortunately I would have to agree with Andy1845c. Having already admitted to being an "idiot as far as electronics" is concerned I'd say you would get more frustration than fun out of taking on a project of this level. The Jeep may die before you project is finished! Had you checked around for the replacement cost??? What about a junk yard?

Thanks to Andy1845c
This is what makes me MAD & jealous about you Yanks a quick telly brings a dash to $502 which aint bad at all now x that with 6.8 and I have to pay R3414
(South African Rand) + import duty and shipping ending up at between R4500 & R5000 Now that is EXPENSIVE
Same with a Genuine instrument cluster $241 cheap easy and fast , but paying +/- R2500 ,let alone the trouble of transferring money and customs
That is why I make every thing I want or need my self
I must admit I love to do it and the joy of standing back looking at a job that came out looking like it was done by a factory and really working well + ppl admiring 1s handy work

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back