Car DVM

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTP Pepper

Hi
I am looking to buy a simple LCD type DVM module to attach to a 12v lead acid battery (not the main battery) in my car running a few circuits. I would like it as a simple module without a backlight and draw minimum current as it will be permantely powered across the separate battery.

However I would be willing to have a push switch to power the module for a small period to show the voltage if it didn't get fried having an input voltage without a supply voltage.

Any ideas pls?

Hi,

There are a million of them on Amazon. Quality varies, color varies, backlight varies, you name it they got it

Just make sure you buy one designed to be powered by the same voltage it is measuring. Some panel DVMs require an isolated power supply and are thus unsuitable for the task. If it has separate ground pins for the power and input signal, that is a likely sign that it won't work to measure its own voltage.

This is what I found. The ones that do are for car cig lighter sockets and therefore have nice electro-luminescence displays which will draw more current that I would like.

Sorry, I missed the obvious. Perhaps one of these will work.
I have used several of these & they work well. They only draw 4Ma if you disconect the back light, as they are quite readable in daylight. For night time i use a switch for the back light if required.

Well two of them delivered in the UK from China via ebay. Cost £3.00 each with free postage, I have ordered another three. Apart from one being 10mV out compared to a calibrated source, which was just a tweak of a pot on the PCB. I cannot fault them. Without the backlight (a simple cable cut) they draw 3mA so can happily sit across my 17Ah lead acid batteries I keep for testing bit and bobs without deeply discharging them.
They retail at over £25 here.

Buy of the year to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…