Car Fuel and Temp Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorPS

Hi,

I try to understand how the meter in my car Dashboard Fuel and Temp guage,
open up, I see a meter with 3 input.

I have no idea what this kind of meter is, can anybody tell me what is it and how it work?

Thank you,

Attachments

• DSCN9101.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCN9102.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCN9103.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCN9104.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 151
  • DSCN9105.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 142
I still don't get it, an Analog meter (moving coil meter ) have 2 lead only, but this have 3 lead... and is it because of this, the pointer of meter will be very stable, not moving out much even a vibration shock during car drive, am I right? Where can I get more info about this kind of meter?

In my old truck there are two answers for why three “inputs”.
1. Some of the meters have three leads but only 2 are used.
2. Two of the meters have leads labeled “gnd”, “+” and “S”. The meter needs power and ground to work and one wire that goes to the sender. If you look at the Moving_coil_meter link they show a magnet. It could be made with a electro-magnet that requires power.

thanks for reply, I have open up the meter, I notice it is moving magnet, the coil with 3 lead is fix unmoveable.

And yes, there is (+) and (Gnd) connect to two lead of the coil through resistor.
But to control the meter, what shall I input to (S)? a resistor to ground or a small voltage input?

Here I attached more photo for better understanding.
Thank you,

Attachments

• DSCN9113.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 151
  • DSCN9114.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCN9116.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 124
It's the same as the article on Wikipedia except that it uses another coil instead of a permanent magnet.

If each meter has three leads (which is what I think you're saying), then the third lead is for the outer stationary coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…